Saturday, August 29, 2009

Las Moras Black Label Malbec 2006

When I received this review, the Las Moras Black Label sounded familiar, so I searched the blog and discovered that Kelly and I had it at the wine show and liked it. Good to have a full review.

--- Iron Chef's Review ---

Nose: Freshly cracked black pepper, powdered Cocoa- like Quick. Raisiny fruit. Powerful and heady- quite a whiff of alcohol.
Taste: Highly extracted jammy black fruit. Cola flavours. Some sweet Grenadine notes. Good strength in the Tannins, somewhat grippy. Tobacco and some medicinal flavours in the end of the palate.
Overall- I enjoyed this, some of the sweeter notes were balanced off by the strong tannins. Thought this had a depth of taste to support the price. I would buy it again. Good choice for bold tasting foods, paired with a Blue Cheese Crusted steak.

Price: $17.99
Value 4/5
Score 89
Region: Argentina, San Juan Valley
Alcohol: 14%
UPC: 7791540091889

2 comments:

  1. I was completely taken with the Las Moras Tannat, near the end of a wine show a couple years ago. Then I taste a bottle at home....not good. My confidence in my wine show picks has slowly been eroding over the years. It's been hit and miss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But there are always some winners too - like the Ribeauville Andante which we probably wouldn't have tried if we hadn't tasted it first there. Maybe you taste so many wines that the ones that are different stand out, even though they're not always that good on their own.

    ReplyDelete