Friday, August 14, 2009

Pelee Island Winery Gewürztraminer 2008

I’d promised a review of the Bandi Cum Laude for today, but we had a summer white last night and since we’re finally getting some summer, I thought it made more sense to post about that.

I love an off-dry or sweet Gewürz in the Alsatian or German style, with that distinctive lychee nose. I was hoping for a cheaper home-grown version, but this Pelee Island Wine didn’t quite deliver. The bottle claims an aroma of mangoes and peaches, but I didn’t get htat, and I certainly didn’t get the lychee I was hoping for. A bit of petrol - reminded me of a Riesling rather than Gewürz - and a slightly sour finish. About what you’d expect for the price. If you’re looking for a reasonably priced Gewürz, I’d say the Ribeauville Andante is easily worth the extra $5.

Price: $13.49
Value: 3/5
Score: 83
Alcohol: 12.5%
Region: Canada, Ontario
UPC: 777081714842

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, I was meaning to try this for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd review this one more favourably than Norman did. I'm almost certain I'd identify it blind as a Gewurz (although I haven't tasted it blind), which is just another way of saying that I think it has decent varietal character. Its main weakness is that it's a bit flabby and cloying. Still, I've quite enjoyed it ice-cold on a summer day. Sure, the Andante is better, and sure, I've had Gewurz from Germany, France, and British Columbia that I've enjoyed more; but for $13.49, I'd say this wine is good value.

    ReplyDelete