Monday, February 15, 2010

Concha y Toro Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc, 2005

I too have been turned to the white side lately.  Here is peanutman's tale:

--- peanutman's review ---

Can't believe I'm drinking more whites than reds lately, but I like experience. Reds start back this Thursday with a Super Tuscan for my 41st Bday. Here is a wine that I loved, but for those reading please take into consideration that I don't know much about white wines.

Concha y Toro Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc, 2005. Value 5 out of 5, score 92. $14.29 for a 375 ml. I have never paid more than $18 for a white, but this was well worth the money.

In the latest Tidings magazine, they give the 2006 a score of 90 and describe it as such: Bouquet is fresh, yet with complex citrus, honey and spicy notes. (My take on the 05, grapefruit and honey). Displays similar finesse on the refreshingly light palate, with lingering sensations of honeyed sweetness and deftly balanced acidity. Bears an extraordinary resemblance to Sauternes. My take on the 05 is pretty much the same but I'm not certain about the acidity. If this is what a Sauternes tastes like, I will have to try one. Not that I know what heaven tastes like, nevertheless this was heaven in my mouth. BTW, this has a beautiful golden color.

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting review! I love a good sauternes, though the price and availability make it a rare treat. So some comparable offerings are nice to hear about, especially at that price.

    I had the Concha Y Toro Vendages Tardive 2004 - same producer, different desert wine. It was sweet and tasty and viscous, but not much else. Can't complain much as it was 12bucks. But a well picked Sauternes does bring so much more to the table - when splurging is an option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A second note - as you get tidings magazine, does that make you an Opimian member?

    If so, would love to hear some recommended wines. It is so hard to tell, as the reviewer describes pretty well every wine like it's going to be "the cure".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the Concha y Toro Late Harvest Sauv. Blanc a couple of years ago (pre-blog)and my reaction was a lot like peanutman's - wow, this stuff is great! I haven't had it in a while now - not sure why. If you're in the mood for a dessert wine, you can't go wrong with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter,

    Yes, I am an opimian member. If your dad works at C&P, ask him for his colleagues Mr. Potato Heads work email in the inspection world. He should understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like the Late Harvest- had it first at Brewbakers paired with a Brulee.

    ReplyDelete