Thursday, August 28, 2008

Bodegas Norton Barbera 2007

I hate to buy wine when I go out to dinner, because pretty much nothing is good value at 100% markup - this wine is the rare exception. I chose it at the Blue Door, largely because it was the cheapest (sorry, least expensive) wine on the house wine list. What a very pleasant surprise. Barbera is perhaps not very well known. Its original home is as the second grape of Piedmont (after Nebbiolo), but it appears to have found second home in Argentina. This wine is medium bodied with clean fresh fruit and very good balance. Went very well with the food and at the price you don't have to worry if you feel like gulping it down. Outstandingly good value. Normally you would have to get into the $20+ price range for a wine of this quality.

Price: $13.29
Value: 4/5
Score: 86
Tasted: August 2008
ANBL UPC: 7792319064042

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your rating on this one. I liked this wine and would have thought it good value at $20. It compared favorably to more expensive wines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is surprisingly good value. On a day when I'm not feeling like 'drinking wine' with pinky properly elevated, nose inclined at 33.2 degrees, this is just the right slosh. It goes well with a bad mood, distractions, and reading newspapers. Lovely to look at, full, with a pleasant touch of tannins on the tail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am about to try this one. Its been breathing for about 3 mins.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. So...I would give this a 4/5 for value. Very nice wine to sip away on. I think the nose is deceiving. Usually the nose is a precursor to the taste. But this one is quite the opposite. I got lots of nose. Flowery, tiny bit of berry, small amount of vanilla. Taste..nothing really jumped out. I was careful to decant for at least 1/2 hr. I really liked this for a "first red" in an evening of plenty. Light, refreshing..I would definitely recommend this to a beginner. 88 :-)

    ReplyDelete