Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Pio Cesare Barolo Ornato 2001

Dark berries, almonds, licorice and violets (yes, really) - layers of complexity, as one flavour hits and then fades and the next emerges, so the wine is never the same from one second to the next. This is easily the best wine I have ever had - and by all accounts it will be years before it reaches its peak! I don't drink much in this price range, but I've had a few and none compared with this. ( I'd buy more fancy wine if they all turned out out to be as good as this one, but disappointment at $100 is a lot harder to take than at $20.) I don't really know how to rate it since I haven't had anything better as a benchmark, but it's worth at least two points more than anything else I've had, so I'll give it a 96. The 2001 Ornato is sold out, but the 2003 is apparently in the warehouse. Wine Spectator liked the 2003 pretty much as well - 95 for the '01 versus 94 for the '03. If anyone tries the '03 please post a comment and tell me if it really is that good!

Price: $85 (2001); $100.42 (2003)
Score: 96
Value: 5/5
Tasted: November 2006
ANBL UPC: 8014629020013

1 comment:

  1. I concur - the 2001 was one of the best wines that i have had over the past few years. complex and seductive, and well worth the price, if you are lucky enough to find it. my brother in law has a few bottles of the 1997 - i hope i am in the area when he opens one.

    ReplyDelete