Thursday, December 18, 2008

Montecillo Reserva 2002

Here's a review from Luke. Incidentally, when he first posted this in the "Make a Suggestion" thread, there was none available in F'ton. They've now brought some in, along with the Torres Celeste that Luke also mentioned in that post.

Here's Luke's review of the Montecillo:

"The Celeste has left me in the mood for Spain since I had it, so I opened a 2002 Montecillo Reserva (Rioja) today. I got something different on the nose every time I went back. Cherries, earth, cedar, lavender, spice, and maybe even tea and chocolate. The fruit and vanilla were most obvious on the palate, which had a medium to long finish with a nice hint of chocolate. A very complex wine.

The deep garnet colour has hints of brown that are starting to show quite well. There is still good acidity and tannin, I look forward to trying this in another year or two. Very enjoyable now, however."

Price: $24.29
Score: 87
Value: 4/5
Region: Spain, Rioja
Grape: Tempranillo
Tasted: 30 Nov 08
UPC: 022851208015

1 comment:

  1. When I opened a bottle at supper time I thought, wow what a nice smell (oak and I thought I smelled blackberries but I could be wrong; the 120 pound dog needed to go for a walk so I didn't spend much time sniffing). The wow stopped at that point. I would agree with a medium finish to long finish and that some sort of taste stays in your mouth, but I don't find that it evolves in your mouth afterwards; same taste all the time. For the price and the described product, I actually find this wine kind of boring (2.5 on 5). The description on the bottle talks about this being an intense wine, full bodied and fruity with flavours of ripe berries and oak. It also states that it was in French Oak Barrels for 18 months (ie vanilla). I was expecting a lot better with that description. I have had younger Tempranillos with 6 months in Oak that have been a lot better. I have also had other tempranillos with very similar descriptions and price that were a lot crisper. I have a feeling that I would probably have liked this wine a lot better last year with a little bit more oomf to it. For those who have not had tempranillo, my suggestion would be to try a glass of Fortius Tempranillo (around $13) and then this one simply to give you a different perspective on this grape. The Fortius is actually very good for the price and I do not know anybody who hasn't liked it.

    ReplyDelete