Monday, March 29, 2010

Rymill Coonawarra MC2 2003

This blog is intended to be about diversity of opinion, so I checked out the review this wine at Nick’s, a major Australian retailer that usually provides well balanced reviews (given that they are trying to seel the stuff).  They didn’t much like this wine.  This makes me think of Gallo Barrelli Creek Cab - WS gave it an 86 in 2003, but we liked much better than when we tried it in 2009.  There’s lots of it left, so if anyone else has tried this wine, please let us know whether you agree with Nick’s or with Iron Chef.

— Iron chef’s Review —

My Coonawarra adventure continues.

Colour - Ruby core, to orangish rim.
Nose - Dried spices - cloves, green peppers, currants and plums. Some hot notes mixed with Vicks. New shoe leather. Floral components. Deeply aromatic and interesting.
Taste - Currants and plums -  more dried cooking spices. Mint and menthol. Some sweat. Very drying palate somewhat austere. Faint coconut and stewed apples late on the palate. Good tannins.
Overall - Loved this wine. Not as peppery as the Yearling, but more complex. I have a feeling that this would improve in my cellar. Screw cap - decanted 45 minutes.

Are there any other Coonawarras except for the Jacob's Creek St Hugo at $40 at ANBL?

Score 91
Value 5/5
Australia – Coonawarra
65% Cab Sauvignon 23% Merlot, 12% Cab Franc
13.5% Alcohol
Price: $19.99
UPC: 9315128981089

5 comments:

  1. What a cool wine. Had I tasted it blind, I would have been tempted to go with Bordeaux, possibly new world meritage. Anything but distinctly Aussie. Happened upon a few Dutch Crunch Mesquite BBQ chips halfway through the bottle and wow, I've never tasted a chip that was so wine-friendly. Took the wine to a new level. Try it.

    Iron Chef - I think the 2003 Katnook Estate Cab is from Coonawarra also, and lots of it in NB. Though I don't remember it being this interesting. Thanks for the recommendation on the MC2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that like chocolate milk and cheesies? Now thats a combination!!!
    I am somewhat uninspired to try new things for some reason. Although Wed night at ANBL Dieppe (Mar 31) I am going to try the Marques de Casa Concha line. Heard FABULOUS things!!!! I am talking 89 and 91 for the Merlot and Syrah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle you won't be disappointed in the Marques de Casa Concha Syrah. The syrah has plenty of fruit and a nice finish. With the weather over the last week, the Concha would be great with a barbaqued burger or ribs. Nice wine for the price point.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this blog dead?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not dead, just ... resting. I was away on vacation and since then have been drinking mostly from the cellar. I want to get going again with some summer whites, and I have a couple of reviews lined up now - but what I really need is more posts or comments from random contributors.

    ReplyDelete