Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Liberty School Cabernet Sauvignon 2007

I like cab, but I don't seem to drink very much of it.  You can get a great cab for $50+, or a bad one for $15, but a good quality cab at a decent price is a rare bird.  So at $24 the Liberty School cab is a welcome find.  This is a very solid cab with good varietal character in a New World style, but without being overdone.  Kelly says "Full, smooth, fruity, with an edge of tannins for balance - blackberries with a bit of menthol or evergreen."  I'd score it around 88, which I would say is a 4/5 for value for a cab.  Perfect for drinking now with a steak.  It would be very interesting to see how it ages.  At the price I wouldn't expect much, but it seems to have good structure and plenty of fruit. If it does improve with age it would be great value.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm..had this on my radar from the festival last year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try and let us know what you think. Can't go too far wrong at the price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interestingly, I just picked up a bottle of this Liberty School cab on the weekend and tried it last night. I agree that this is a great value for California Cab. I find that Paso Robles is a good producing region of wines without the sticker shock of Napa, and the Hope family, who make this wine, are known as great producers.I have a few of their high end wines like Isosceles (a meritage) in my cellar
    I found this wine to be very full and dark...the way I like'em. The cork is almost black, and that dark licorice comes through in the wine, as well as blackberries, and some tea and dark chocolate. For this 2007 Cab, I think I agree that I would give it about an 88-89ish. a good find and one that I think will develop over the next maybe 4 years.
    I had the 2006 of this Cab last year and found it to be very similar.
    I was very anxious to try their 2008 Syrah as well, but it fell short in my opinion and is not very well balanced. It tasted like a cheap Syrah.
    I would pass on the Syrah for now. Maybe it just needs time to pull itself together and tame down a bit.

    ReplyDelete