Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sandhill Petit Verdot 2006

I was a bit disappointed by the Sandhill Viognier, not because it's a bad wine, but because Sandhill sets a high standard.  This Petit Verdot lives up to that standard.  It is inky and long, with rich dark fruit caressing the tongue.  It's beautifully structured - enough tannin to give it backbone, but soft at the same time.  Maybe not subtle - at least not yet - but impossible not to fall for.  But if you're going to try it, you should hurry.  This wine is part of Sandhill's Small Lots program - only 233 cases made, and fewer than four are left in the province.  The Sandhill release appeared on the shelves only a couple of weeks ago, and the Petit Verdot is already sold out in F'ton.  The only reason I'm willing to post this comment is that I've already ordered in a half dozen from out of town for my cellar.

1 comment:

  1. Description is 100% bang on. Bought a bottle last night based on Norman's review, drank it and went out and bought 3 more bottles today. My wife said : wow, what is this. I'm leaving them alone for at least a year as I thought the fruit was probably even a little too much in your face, but I don't think I would keep it much longer than that.

    ReplyDelete