Sunday, April 19, 2009

Caves des Papes Reserve de Fustiers Gigondas 2004

--- A Review from Iron Chef ---

I don't remember this being a 'Sale Wine', but it was on the Sale Table at Prospect today. It has been a long time since I had the Perrin Gigondas, but this really reminded me of a restrained Vinsobres, which I just noticed is sold out at ANBL- a WS 91 pts for about $25. And the Perrin Gigondas was from a hot 2003 vintage- a little different.

Nose- Hot Cherries mixed with Raspberries and some Port-ish aromas. Spicy wood tannins like turmeric or cumin. Lastly some Leather notes that I really liked.

Palate- Right off reminded me of a Cherry Blossom chocolate bar. A bit hot with some cinnamon/nutmeg spice. Sweet like milk chocolate but not candied or over the top. Somewhat restrained taste which was odd especially given the hot-ness of the alcohol. Some thinner notes at the mid-palate. A sour cherry taste, which I hate, dissipated as it decanted and was replaced with a more refined licorice.

Overall I found myself really wanting to like this wine, even though I was in a pisspoor mood. My notes on the Vinsobres suggest I would have probably given it a 91-94 pts so this should be less as it is thinner, less extracted, but not a lot less.

Price: $23.47
Score: 90
Value: 4/5
Region: Southern Rhone
Grape: Grenache blend
Alcohol 14.5%
UPC: 714320144008

3 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting, and in a style I like. I'd been keen to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tried this wine before I went away a week ago and then out of the half-bottle last night. I liked it - a solid wine in an old world style. As a Gigondas, this must be primarily Grenache, and the difference between an old world and new world Grenache is remarkable. This just doesn't have anything of the unpleasant candied flavour I associate with Australian Grenache. I might not give it a 90, but i would probably give it something around 88-89, and a solid 4/5 for value. I'll be getting more before it's all gone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this wine is a winner. Tasting blind, I rated it 89. It's great value for the money, and I really like the style. My note was very similar to Iron Chef's, if not quite as detailed.

    ReplyDelete