Friday, April 24, 2009

Marques Casa Concha Cabernet Sauvignon 2006

I like to try a variety of different styles of wine, but a solid cab or shiraz with a few years on it is still a classic favourite. When you can find one of those in the low $20s, that's gold. I'm thinking of wines like the Gallo Cab or Wynns Shiraz. From this review, it sounds like this wine might be another one in that category.

--- A Review from Peanutman ---

The sommelier in the Moncton Vaughn Harvey Blvd store recommended this one to me. Great recommendation. I did a search on the internet to see what people were saying about this wine and most of the reviews are very similar. Bouquet: blackberry, chocolate (I got those two), black tar and smoke (missed those). My first impression of this wine was that it was very smooth, silky and with an good flavour. I noticed a little vanilla with some nice tannins that aren't too aggressive. While the internet search revealed most of this as well, the bottle mentions coffee which I couldn't taste (probably because I drink too much coffee as is). Wine Spectator rates this wine as a 90 and it is hard to argue the contrary. I thought this was different that the Carmen as I didn't find it as aggressive and I thought it was more "polished" than the Carmen. I gave the Carmen an 88 score and a 4.5 for value, therefore I'll go with WS and give it a 90 and a value score of 4.6.

Price: $23.99
Score: 90
Value: 4.6/5
Region: Chile
Grape: Cabernet Sauvingon
UPC: 7804320333175

8 comments:

  1. Of the Casa line of wines the Syrah and Chardonnay stand out as the best for me. I hope ANBL will bring the Chardonnay back again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only tried the Merlot and Cab - awesome wines... I've never seen the Syrah and Chardonnay in NB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- this Syrah has disappeared quick- there is 1 left in Dieppe.
    UPC #7804320117294 - Marques de Casa Concha Syrah 750 ml
    Category 209 Red Table Wines-Chile
    Retail Price: $24.48

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Syrah has been around alot longer because it is 2005. The others (Cab and Merlot) are more recent arrivals and are 2006s

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't like the 2006 Cabernet Sauvignon. I'm not used to a red wine pouring out of the bottle with a cloudy appearance and with no clarity. Although the taste was good, it left a distinct after-taste, which, again, I'm not used to. As an everyday table wine, it would be good were it not for the price. However, definitely not a wine I would serve up on a special occasion. Not sure were the 90 rating came from on these various wine sites, but for me that would was misleading as it was very disappointing given the high rating and the relatively high price.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon,

    Thanks for posting - a variety of opinions paints a better picture of a wine than just one or two. Please keep the comments coming - and remember, if you've tried a wine that hasn't been reviewed, you can post a review in the "Make a Suggestion" thread and I will pick it up and post it as a new thread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had this wine twice and no cloudiness in either bottle. The second bottle tasted the same as the first. I bought them both at the same time. I'll have to go buy another bottle and see if it is as I first thought or if Anon is on to something. I just bought some great wines in Qc, therefore I've been staying away from NBLC for a while. Can't believe the difference in price on the better wines in QC, some up to $10 on a $30 bottle at NBLC.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just had this wine. It was hard to resist trying with wine spectator, wine enthusiast and peanutman all giving it 90 points.

    It is a serious wine with major lip, tongue, and tooth staining concentration. I wouldn't disagree with the score - for cab lovers, but a bit too sturdy and hot for me to be hooked.

    I would definitely go for this or Casa Lapostolle when a cab is needed.

    ReplyDelete