Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Jacob's Creek St. Hugo 2003

Here's a review from Vasco da Gama that I lifted from the Make a Suggestion thread. Despite the review, because there are so few bottles left I haven't listed it as "Recommended" in the price range.

--- Vasco da Gama's review ---

Secret Opportunity for Fredericton readers of this blog!!!

Last week I tasted the 2003 Jacob's Creek "St.Hugo" Cabernet from Coonawarra. This was at a restaurant and I heard NBLC was sold out of it.
I found that actually there were 11 bottles left in Saint John, so I had them bring in 3 for me. They ended up shipping in all 11, so there are 8 more up at Prospect St NBLC, as of this afternoon.
This is a blockbuster beautiful cab with rich layered fruitiness, and possesses great new world characteristics, along with licorice...mmmm. This has a proportionate amount of tannins and acidity to carry it another few years, should you wish to hold a bottle or two. One of the nicest Cabs I've had. Coonawarra region can produce some awesome Cabs...I would highly recommend!!
Looking at the NBLC website, this no longer shows up, so I can't give you the UPC code

Price: $37.99
Score: 5/5
Value: 4/5
Grape: Cabernet Sauvignon
UPC: 9300727483232

3 comments:

  1. 9300727483232 and there are 7 at Prospect St. :-) Lucky!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FYI
    Wine Enthusiast - Consumers who associate the Jacob’s Creek brand solely with inexpensive quaffing wines should take a look at some of the company’s high-end offerings, such as the St. Hugo’s Cabernet. The 2003 features plenty of body, a creamy, velvety texture and bright cherry fruit. Darker notes of cassis lend depth, embellished by hints of eucalyptus, tobacco and vanilla. Drink now–2015. Score: 91. —Joe Czerwinski, February 01, 2008.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Coonawarra Cab. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete