Thursday, April 2, 2009

Masi Campofiorin Ripasso 2005

This review from Peanutman got lost for a week or so in my gmail spam box, so I'm bumping it up the queue.

--- Peanutman's Review ---

Italy, what can we say, what about corvina, rondinella and molinara; the grapes that form this wine. Never heard of them, neither had I even after spending 3 weeks in Italy last summer.

Smell and taste, I thought it was most likely cherries (maybe even a little earthy). As the liquid in the bottle flows toward the bottom, you smell and taste cocoa. It is kind of funny, but the smell and taste were very similar. Maybe one of my peanut senses isn't working tonight. The wine has a beautiful color, not totally dark but enough to make you believe that it could be a ''big wine'' (until you put it up against a white background and you notice that it is not as dark as you might think). Does that 'big feeling' ever change when you smell it and even more when you taste it. It just flows very easily and appreciatively down the hatch. I have tasted this wine on different occasions during the years and for some reason I thought this one had a little bit of a lighter sense to it and not a very big finish. I had a 2004 recently at a friends and it had a little more ooomph!, but this one is still good.

My wife and I both like big, bold oaky wines, but we both also really liked this one after a long day at work.

In any event, my score would be an 86. Value, it depends how you're feeling, tonight it was a 4.

Price: $21.99
Score: 86
Value: 4 / 5
Region: Italy, Rosso del Veronese IGT
Grape: 70% Corvina, 25% Rondinella, 5% Molinara (in 2006)
Tasted: March 2009
UPC: 8002062000068

1 comment:

  1. I have found this one to be a consistent mid-high 80's wine over several vintages. Ripasso's got me into wine several years back with all the delicious floral features on the nose and palate.

    ReplyDelete