Sunday, May 17, 2009

Beringer California Collection Cab Sauvignon 2006

Of course reviews of high priced wines are useful because you want to know what you're getting before you shell out. But reviews of lower priced wines are just as useful, because there are so many on the shelves (and so many bad ones) that you can spend a lot of money before you find one you like. Here's one of the latter from Peanutman:

--- Peanutman's Review ---

Tonight we opened the above. $12.99.

I saw this wine and for the price I said why not. I wasn't expecting much, but I have to tell you this would be a decent summer red to drink. I had to look at the bottle twice when I first took a drink because I taught I was drinking something from the Cotes du Rhone. It was light, tasty and peppery. I let it decant for about 45 minutes and then it became a light, tasty cabernet sauvignon. For those that do not really like Cab Sauv, this might be one of those to start with as it is light and easy to drink. It has a nice red fruit taste and the bouquet is very much blackberry and vanilla. Pretty much as described on the bottle. I also bought the Merlot therefore I'll have to see if there is much of a difference. I have to give this two different values, one for the long winter nights = 3.0, and one for the summer 4. Score 83.

Price: $12.99
Score: 83
Value: 3/5 (winter); 4/5 (summer)
Region: California
UPC: 0089819068227

4 comments:

  1. Peanutman,

    I really enjoyed this wine as well but my expectations were not very high. This wine sells for $6-$7 across the border. That being said, I am going to keep a few bottles on hand in case the in-laws drop in for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Which border ? NS, Que, Maine ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kroger in Indianapolis is currently selling this for %4.99 with a 10% discount off that for six bottles or over.
    Good everyday wine.

    ReplyDelete