Saturday, May 9, 2009

Lehmann Clancy's Red 2005

Single vineyard varietal wines are all the rage - and Clancy’s Red from Lehmann shows why this is a mistake. With a blend of grape of different varieties sourced from various Barossa vineyards, Lehmann has put together a great wine at a great price. This is not at all the kind of candied fruit bomb that I worry about getting from Aus at this price - Kelly first guessed every country in Europe, and then said 'well, it's not Australian." (I love it when a wine fools her.) It has good fruit, but with restraint, and a twist of something a bit different at the finish for interest. Just a bit of a rough edge, though that dissipated with air. Excellent balance. I wish I knew how long this is likely to cellar.

Here's Kelly's note: "Nose of dried flowers, stewed fruit, warm spices (cinnamon, cloves, pepper). Much more earthy and spicy on the palate; long, with maybe an eensy hard note at the very finish. No way I'd have guessed it Australian - I was pretty sure it was Italian and certain it was old world. At least I got the blend right."

Kelly and I independently gave it the same score. Ok, not 89.5, but we were both wavering between 89 and 90.

Price: $19.99
Score: 89.5
Value: 5/5
Region: Australia, Barossa
Grape: 35% Shiraz, 34% Cabernet Sauvignon, 26% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc.
Alcohol: 14.5%
UPC: 9311910102069

3 comments:

  1. i concur with the rating. this is an excellent value for money wine and i am pleased that there are still mid-priced australian reds that have some complexity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never had it- thanks for the reason to buy one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bought it because of the post. I was suprised that both my wife and liked it. In my view, the shiraz is prevalent even though it is, percentage wise, on par with Cab Sauvignon and not far behind Merlot. I really didn't get much of the Cab Sauv flavour that I like, but it was still pretty good.

    ReplyDelete