Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Wolftrap Boekenhoutskloof 2006 & 2007

Here is a 2 for 1 review from Iron Chef:

--- Iron Chef's Review ---

The Wolftrap Boekenhoutskloof 2006

I am usually a sucker for any Rhone blend, so I had to try this since it was on the cover of the WS this month. At the Prospect St ANBL, I asked Aaron if there was a difference between the 2006 and 2007 vintages- he laughed and said probably not. So I bought both, btw there is a big difference.
Nose- Gravelly like a dusty driveway. Asian spices- Soy, Ginger, Teriyaki. Also Mocha Hot Chocolate. And Dank wood- think of a firewood left outside for a decade. Very interesting nose- a lot going on.
Taste- Plumy and Gamey. Some tannins on the front of the palate that were Dusty. Meat Pies from Northern NB and Beef Gravy. Real rustic component to the taste. And that wood that reminds me so much of South African wines- all I can say is Old and Dank.
Overall- I really enjoyed all the stuff that was going on, it was fun, complex and surprising. Decanted for the Length of the Rolling Stones' Exile on Main Street.
Value- 4.2/5
Score- 90
Grape: 50% Syrah, 48% Mourvedre, and 2% Viognier
Alcohol 14%


The Wolftrap Boekenhoutskloof 2007

Part 2 of the Boekenhoutskloof vertical was surprising in the differences more than the similarities.
Nose: Aromatic way beyond what I was expecting- Dried Sage, Violets and Lilacs. Also Plantains and peppery toasty wood. Smelled a lot like a Crantini. Very complex.
Taste- Toasty wood, vanilla and bright Fruit- cherry mostly. Some nutmeg from the wood also. Tasted a lot like a Crantini. Very smooth tannins. Some hot-ness on the palate. Nice Long peppery/mocha finish. Really clean Wine.
Overall- I really like the 2007 vintage, gone was the dank wood, rustic wine- replaced with a polished toasty vanilla cocktail. I liked them both but for obliviously different reasons. If you have the chance, try the 2006 and 2007 side by side. Decanted for the length of London Calling by the Clash.
Value- 4.5/5
Score- 91
Grape: 60% Syrah, 39% Mourvedre and 1% Viognier
Alcohol 14.5%

Price: $15.29
Score: 90 (2006) / 91 (2007)
Value: 4.2 / 5 (2006) / 4.5/5 (2007)
Region: Western Cape, South Africa
UPC: 746925000564

3 comments:

  1. Love the review. So if I decanted for the extended remixed version of Shout by Tears for Fears....that should open it up nicely?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the wolftrap to be a real academic wine. Though it was good, it was more interesting than delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard the word "academic" used about a wine that way, but it is very description. I'll add it to my list of wine words.

    ReplyDelete