Friday, June 5, 2009

Incognito Viognier 2004

This blog focusses on wines from ANBL, but wines purchased anywhere in the Atlantic provinces are fair game. Here’s a review from Michelle of a wine bought in Halifax, which is a nice change. The bad news is that Michelle is there because her partner Don is in the Halifax Infirmary after a nasty crash in the Halifax criterium. Looks like there will be no permanent damage (fingers crossed) but this was definitely the worst bike racing crash I’ve heard of in the 15 years that I’ve been here. Best wishes to Don and hope for a speedy recovery!

Now on to the wine...

— Michelle’s Review —

So its chilled and damn I wish I had a regular PC for this. Sorry for any strange typos..I am doing this from my blackberry. Giving u guys the low down on a 2004 Incognito Viognier (US - Lodi, CA). Bought in Halifax at Premiere Wines on Dresden.

Yes I am a V-virgin! Never tried one soley. Always blended with something.

So petrol on the nose. I admit I don't even know any typical descrips of what a V should be. Calling is V because my thumbs will be fatigued and I won't spell I right after the third time anyway.

So petrol, minerals on the nose. Yes I got gas and rocks. Sorry but my nose could be affected by "hospital" smells. So...taste..should I have had the sip before the BBQ chicken pizza? Perhaps...anyway. For some reason I get a light almost gooseberry taste with maybe a hint of...wow I am really stumped. This wine is really interesting. Although my experience in whites have only been SB's, Chard's and the occassional Pinot Grigio. This one is far different. I am really enjoying it. Not a lot of tannins..which I do not favor. Easy drinking.

I rate this, now keep in mind I have never had one before, an 88. The price was 15. Value..YES! I mean...4/5 :)
Finishing the pizza and not the bottle now. But maybe juuust one more glass.

Price: $15
Score: 88
Value: 4/5
Region: USA, California
Grape: Viognier

1 comment:

  1. I was at that store on Tuesday- nice slection. I enjoyed the Port of Wines more. Picked up PAUL JABOULET CORNAS GRAND TERRASSES 2006 and
    Donatien Bahuaud Les Chartrains '06 Chinon. Great to see Northern Rhone and Loire valley wines for a change.

    ReplyDelete