Friday, June 26, 2009

Pierre André Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Aux Clous 2005

Here's one that not-so-much value priced. It's hard to give a value rating to the more expensive wines. I loved the Pierre Sparr Gewurz I had a week ago, but when I think about it, I'm not sure it was really a 4/5 for value. I gave it a 92, but isn't that what you'd want (maybe not what you'd expect) from a $50 wine? And value is relative to the style. If you're someone who likes Aus Shiraz you'll be paying less than someone who likes Burgundy. Speaking of which . . .

--- Iron Chef's Review ---


A good friend brought over this Pinot Noir from the Premier Cru vineyard of Aux Clous in the north of Burgundy where as Robert Parker says, "Savigny's finest, richest, most intense and ageworthy wines are produced". My expertise with Burgundy is scarce, but Premier Cru wines are always welcome especially from a near perfect vintage (WS 95pts for Beaune, 98pts for Nuits).
Nose- White Pepper, Deep + robust strawberry, Resiny wood and a hint of Peaches. Just a bunch of stuff going on.
Taste: Tannic and grippy, crisp apple skin acidity. Stewed Strawberries with rhubarb and a remarkable milk chocolate finish that travelled forever. Very deep and complex taste. Sometimes hollow in the middle of your tongue. Lightly textured- not heavy on the palate.
Overall: Wow- this is really different experience- class + structure+ highly refined. This was young, it hasn't developed the earthy mushroom elements that I had expected- but it will. I am always too nervous to buy Burgs as I don't know enough to make educated purchases and everything seems soo expensive. I will be buying more of this and giving it ten yrs in the cellar. Fantastic- I will remember this for a long time.

Price: $49.99
Score- 95
Value- for Burgs ????- Recession, what recession.
Region: France-Burgundy
Alcohol: 13%
UPC: 3193411640037

3 comments:

  1. I had the '99 version of the same wine in '07 and thoroughly enjoyed it. It it had many of the same elements. I'll have to find the '05.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peter, any other Burgundy Tips especially from 2003 0r 2005 ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a great deal of experience with Burgundy's other than at wine shows - which are certainly not the place to appreciate Burgundy's subtle flavors; or cheap ones - none of which are noteworthy. I have had domaine D'ardhuy '04 Beaune Les combottes which was pretty good, but not something I would recommend at $30. Too soapy!

    I do have 2 hopefully delicious burgundy's in the cellar: D'ardhuy's Premier Cru Peuillets 2005 which got a 91 from WS. And Bouchard Pere et Fils Beaune du Chateau premier cru '05 ($45 NS). I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete