Thursday, July 23, 2009

2004 Montalto Nero d'Avola/Cabernet Sauv.

Here's one for Peter, who seems to like the negative reviews.

--- Michelle's Review ---

Have you ever tried a wine that you really hoped would be a good review? I really wanted to like this wine. It had all the right "ingredients" for a good review. But I came away with mixed emotions. I think it’s the style of wine. I truly believe I do not like the "hot afterglow" on my palette or the alcohol. Something tells me that this is typical of warmer climate wines. The wine and the grape are from Sicily. It’s a blend of Nero d'Avoloa (80%) and Cabernet Sauvignon (20%). At one time they used the Nero d'Avoloa grape to bump up some for their weaker reds. Some say it compares to a Shiraz. It does have the peppery, black currant flavor but I cannot get past the alcohol. I tried this wine on more than one occasion and now believe that I really don't like it. Its in the value price range and I had hoped I could add this one to the Value List. Perhaps this wine really does need food to mellow it out or bring out some other nuances. Occasionally you do come across one that does. I could picture it with pasta and a bold red sauce or perhaps a nicely grilled steak. Don't take my word for it. Some people like that afterglow. I didn't like the Stump Jump for that reason but others do.

Price: $11.79
Value: 3/5
Rating: 75
Grape: Nero d'Avola/Cabernet Sauv
Region: Italy (Sicily)
UPC: 8030423000754

6 comments:

  1. I'm with you, too many wines use alcool to hide defects and poor wine making skills. And I dislike the Stump Jump for the same boozy reasons. When I want hot alcool, I drink whisky. Thanks for the review, I was meaning to try that wine. I have found in the past with Nero that the acidity was completely unbalanced and awkward also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting review. I do have a few things to say. No surprise.

    I had the 2005 of the same at a wine show in 2007 - I loved it and bought 3 bottles. I am on my last one. It has not ceased to blow me away for the price. Each time I go to taste it, I think, so this is it, it will finally bring it's true colors and taste like 10dollar garbage. But every time I am shocked how good it is. It has been a solid 88 point wine every time and for under $11 I paid, the best value wine i've had period.

    However.... when the 2006 came available, I of course bought a few thinking this stuff can't last. So you can imagine my dissappointment when I opened the 2006 - which most closely resembled poison. I wouldn't use it in cooking. I am keeping a bottle around, to see if a few years helps, just out of academic curiousity. Though I doubt it will do much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Evening All,

    Please find below an announcement for the Montalto Nero d'Avola Cabernet and Pinot Grigio from Tom Firth of Wine Access Magazine received today.

    I hope that you will give the wine another go when the '08 vintages hit the shelf in NB. We have had great success with Barone Montalto Nationally and in the Atlantic region. I am sorry to hear of your disappointment. Perhaps the steak would also be a good idea, afterall many wines are created with food in mind.

    Tom Firth wrote:
    Congratulations! Of more than 1140 wines in this year's competition, your wines showed very well at the Wine Access 2009 International Value Wine Awards! This stringent international-caliber competition provides respected results that you can be proud of.
    Killer Value wine marked with an “A” are wines that placed between 1-25th place which will appear with photo in the October/November issue of Wine Access as well as on the Wine Access Website in October. Those wines marked with a “B” placed between 26-50th on the list of the 2009 Killer Values and will appear only as a Killer Value wine on the Wine Access website www.wineaccess.ca as part of the IVWA rollout beginning in September.


    Killer Value

    Montalto 2008 Nero D’Avola Cabernet Sauvignon “A” This wine was identified as the 4th top Killer Value wine in this years competition.
    Montalto 2008 Pinot Grigio “A” This wine was identified as the 5th top Killer Value wine in this years competition
    St Hallett Poachers Blend Semillon Sauvignon Blanc “A”
    Tom Firth
    Events & Promotions Manager
    Member, Wine Access Tasting Panel

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK! Good News! I had a 2007 on the weekend with a nice homemade sausage and roasted red pepper pizza (yes I do give recipes!) and it was actually decent. The hotness I referred to before was gone and replaced by a nice oak finish. I was rather delighted...I was prepared to be disappointed. Perhaps this wine does need the food element but even after a day in the bottle..it still had a nice body to it. PHEW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had my last 2005 montalto nero/cab on the weekend. Unfortunately, this one is showing some decline. It was still a decent bottle of wine for sure. But became a little disjointed. I did pick up the 2008 when over in NB last week. Will report in on that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update. Looking forward to your thoughts on the current release.

    ReplyDelete