Friday, July 17, 2009

A-mano Primitivo 2007

While this wine doesn't sound so good, the burnt rubber taste sounds interesting. Google revealed that there has been a recent major controversy about a burnt rubber taste in South African wines. In the end (spoiler alert) it seems the taste isn't confined to South Africa - it is probably a sulfur compound formed as a result of poor winemaking.

--- Iron Chef's Review ---

I had this wine many moons ago from the SAQ and really liked it, I was happy to see it at ANBL under a new screw cap.
Nose: Leafy notes- like tobacco. Hot berries in syrup, blueberries I think. Some resiny wood also.
Taste: Blueberry pie with vanilla ice cream. Gravely tannins. Some stemmy notes. And something that I didn't care for, it took me an hour to figure it out- Rubber bands or burnt rubber. I dislike that taste in wines. Not sure of the cause, but I will avoid it.
Overall, it was a disappointment; I would not buy this again. Rubber bands are not something I look for in a wine.

Price: $17.99
Score: 70
Value: 1/5
Region: Southern Italy- Puglia
Alochol: 13.5%
UPC: 726452003771

2 comments:

  1. rubber, burnt rubber, oil smoke etc... = metacaptins formed in the wine. Most likely due to sluggish fermentation that gives the sulphur to combine with things it otherwise would not have time to combine with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again for the bad review. I love it!
    I have debated back and forth on this wine for a while. You see it recommended all over the place, but mixed reviews at places like cellartracker. I left a bottle out west at the in-laws, not important enough to suitcase. Glad I didn't.

    ReplyDelete