Saturday, July 25, 2009

Domaine de Bila-Haut, Occulatum Lipidem 2005

Welcome to Peter, a new reviewer. After finding the site and contributing some comments, he's decided to take the plunge and contribute a review - you can too!

--- Peter's Review ---

Nose: Very rich and complex nose of earth, barnyard funk, red fruit compote, and baking spices.
Taste: Medium bodied, pleasant acidity, nice back bone of red fruit (I could not pick out which specific fruits), nice long finish. Well balanced wine. This wine pairs well with a variety of food, though it certainly can be lovely on it's own.

Some further notes: I have to admit a strong bias toward the wines of southern France. I crave the baking spices, garrigue, and balance they so often bring to the table. This one fit the bill. It may not for everyone, so be warned, if you want gobs of fruit or the creaminess of well-oaked wine, this one may not be for you. Wine Access magazine scored it 90 points. Gary Vaynerchuck of Wine Library TV scored it 88 points. I found it not dissimilar to Chateau Haut Bel Air from the same region, but a notch better. This one is far superior to the regular Domaine de Bila Haut red. I will be buying more. Would love to hear some opinions on this.

Price: $27.99
Score: 89-90points
Value: Fair price 4/5.
Producer: M. Chapoutier
Varietals: Syrah, Grenache, Cinsault
Region: Languedoc-Roussillion, France
UPC: 3391181390736

3 comments:

  1. Great review- never considered buying this til now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently had the 2007 vintage of this wine, which got raving scores from the wine press. I enjoyed it, but found it less complex and missing some earthy, mineral, garrigue type character that made the prior vintage so good. I'd still give it an 88. But wonder if I drank it too young. Not as attractive for the price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a 2006 a few months ago. Descriptively, I'd mostly agree with Peter's original review of the 2005 - except that the nose and length of the 2006 were merely ok. I enjoyed it, and it was a decent example of the style I usually associate with Southern France, if not fantastic value at the price. I'd rate it about an 87.

    ReplyDelete