Thursday, July 2, 2009

Leasingham Bin 61 Shiraz 2005

Tancred is an Aussie Shiraz afficionado amd the Leasingham Bin 61 was one of my favourite wines in its price range a few years ago, around the 1998 - 2000 vintages. Sounds like it has slipped since then.

--- Tancred's Review ---

This is a trophy and gold medal winner from a winery based in the clare valley of south australia, a region known more for some excellent and very dry Rieslings. Wine spectator gave the bin 61 a 91 and NBliquor has only a limited supply, so I took a chance and bought four on faith (though I have had earlier vintages). Lots of red berries on the nose and palate, and some decent complexity, though I didn't detect much of the bold spiciness that is characteristic of Australian shiraz. As well, there was a some harshness on the finish that I did not enjoy - maybe this will soften with age. WS called the finish 'lively' and I would agree with that. We'll try it again in a couple of years.

Price: $31.79
Score: 87
Value: 3/5
UPC: 9311043064418

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the review, I am completely lost in Aussie land. Throw another dingo on the barbie

    ReplyDelete