Sunday, September 14, 2008

Château Lamothe de Haut Premiere Cuvee Bordeaux 2004

I almost never drink Bordeaux as I tend to find it overpriced and not very tasty. But in the spirit of blogging I decided to see what ANBL has to offer in a mid-price Bordeaux. I picked this pretty much at random and shared it with Kelly and Ted.

The nose on this wine is striking. Here's how their analysis went: "Whoa, this wine smells like poo!! It's dog poo! No, no, it's baby poo. No, not baby poo, it's diaper bucket. Yes, you're right, diaper bucket, without any bleach. Yes, that's it." I wouldn't have called it poo, but then I have to admit I'm not all that familiar with the smell of diaper bucket. But the nose was definitely not very appealing. It wasn't as bad on the palate, but it wasn't very good. Kelly did pick it out as a Bordeaux blend, even though she and Ted were tasting it blind, so it does have reasonable "typicity." But that's the best that can be said. It was thin and acidic, with a short finish and an off-putting sour aftertaste.

I'm afraid this wine confirmed all my prejudices against Bordeaux. Bordeaux drinkers out there, please set me straight. Is this just not my style? Or can you do better in a mid-priced Bordeaux? Can anyone recommend a good one?

Day 2: Kelly decided give it another chance, with the thought that a couple nights in the half-bottle might have mellowed it. Verdict: "It still smells like poo. And there are some smells you just can't get past."

Price: $25.79
Value: 1/5
Score: 70
Alcohol: 12%
Tasted: Sept 2008
ANBL UPC: 3539301094113

5 comments:

  1. Given how well known the winery is, perhaps a second tasting should be conducted? perhaps involving a fan of bordeaux? what was identified as poo might actually have been a particularly earthy terroir

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try Brondeau 2005 (Bordeaux Superior AOC) upc: 3448820700101 $28.29.

    or

    Tour de Pas 2003 (St George St Emillion) upc: 3448820021282 $29.29.

    These two wines are from "riper" vintages and should have more fruit than the Lamothe.

    Happy tasting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. More fruit... and also less poo?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...less poo...I hope so!

    Speaking of poo aromas in wine, I have most often found them in Brunello, which by the way I think is now most overpriced, overrated and underwhelming style of wine out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree - Brunello and for that matter sangiovese is the Diaper genie of wine.

    ReplyDelete