Friday, September 5, 2008

d'Arenberg The Derelict Vineyard 2004

I was a bit harsh about the d'Arenberg High Trellis a while ago, but I do like d'Arenberg as a winery. To prove it, I thought I'd review The Derelict Vineyard Grenache. Grenache is originally a Spanish grape (where it is known as Garnacha) but it is famous as one of the three main grapes of the southern Rhone. In Australia I find that Grenache can often be unpleasantly candied (something I've never noticed in a Grenache based Rhone wine). But this is a wonderful example of a new world Grenache. The distinctive Grenache candy is still there - the d'Arenberg website claims it's marachino cherry, and I'll go with that - but instead of being overwhelming it's just one element in a delicious balanced mix. A bit of a fruit bomb, maybe, but nothing wrong with that if it's done well. And that may even out with age. Their website claims it will age for 10 years or more, and Wine Spectator agrees, though I think it's drinking well now.

If you like Aussie style Shiraz, you should give this a try for an Aussie style Grenache. There are only a few bottles left in the province. Let's hope we get more of the next vintage!

Price: $30.70
Value: 4/5
Score: 91
Tasted: May 2008
ANBL UPC: 9311832467000

No comments:

Post a Comment