Thursday, September 25, 2008

Wynns Coonawarra Estate Shiraz 2005

This is a tricky one. It's a classic well made, fruit forward Aussie Shiraz - a worthwhile step up from Aus Shiraz in the sub-$20 price range. It's definitely got character and I like it better than the Norton Privada or the High Trellis (both of which are more expensive) for that reason. But right now it's got way too much vanilla / grape / jam for my taste. As Kelly put it, "It's a cartoon of a wine."

Will it improve? We bought a bunch of the Wynn's 2004 a couple of years ago - it was jammy then as well, but there was lots of good fruit so we crossed our fingers and hoped. If I can trust my memory, the '04 then tasted quite a lot like the '05 now. I'll pull a bottle of the '04 out soon and see how it's done.

Right now I think I'd give it 87. I can't quite recommend it, but even now it's a close call at this price. You can drink it now if you like a fruit bomb style and even if you like a mellower style a year or two the cellar might be rewarding. Wine Spectator has a ten year drinking window for the '04 and '05 is supposed to be a better vintage, so you might be able to keep this until 2015. But if you like an old world style, this wine is probably not for you. Certainly not now, and probably not ever.

Price: $21.49
Value: 3/5
Score: 87
Alcohol: 14%
Tasted: Sept 2008
ANBL UPC: 012354051003

No comments:

Post a Comment