Friday, September 19, 2008

Bodegas Norton Privada 2004

Wine Spectator really liked this wine - gave it a 90 - but I was underwhelmed. It's a blend of 40% Malbec, 30% Merlot and 30% Cab, but I could hardly tell. To me it was just a generic "international style" wine; soft, easy drinking and nondescript. Reminded me of the High Trellis and the Gnarly Old Vine Zin (though the Privada is a bit better balanced than the Zin - not quite as cloying). What's going on? Am I becoming a Euro-wine snob, always moaning about how new world wines just don't have 'elegance' and 'terroir'? Well, I am what I am, as Popeye said. Nothing really wrong with this style, though it doesn't appeal to me. But if this is a style you like, I'd say you might as well save a few bucks and go for the High Trellis instead. Jancis Robinson gave it a 16.5/20, which I think is more reasonable than the WS score. I gave the High Trellis 3/5 for value, but this one is just a few dollars more and I'm feeling a bit cranky, so I'm going to give this one 2/5, though it's a close call. For better value from the same producers, try their Barbera. Kelly tasted it blind and agreed with me on the score.

Price: $28.29
Value: 2/5
Score: 86
Alcohol: 14.5%
Tasted: Sept 2008
ANBL UPC: 7792319678027

1 comment:

  1. I have had two very different tastings of the Privada. The first time I tried it I thought it was well balanced and polished. I liked it enough to put it on my list of wines to reccommend to other wine-knows.

    The next time I had it was a few weeks later with friends who brought over a decent 2000 Bordeaux which we tasted first which may have been a mistake because trying the Privada after the Bordeaux made it come off as cloying and nearly undrinkable.

    ReplyDelete