Monday, September 15, 2008

Gnarly Head Old Vine Zinfandel 2006

The characteristic cherry nose marks this as a Zinfandel - Kelly picked it blind right off the bat - but apart from that this California Zin is what you would expect from a fairly generic, inoffensive wine in the $17 price range. Think Rosemount Diamond Label or Penfolds Koonunga Hill. It has a very noticeable sweetness (even though analytically it is dry, with a 00 sugar rating) that no doubt makes the wine easy to drink and broadly appealing. Personally, I find the sweetness to be cloying - I couldn't really drink this wine on its own - but I expect it's fine with a burger. The only problem is that it costs about $5 more than it should for a wine of this style and quality.

Price: $21.99
Value: 2/5
Score: 83
Alcohol: 14.5%
Tasted: Sept 2008
ANBL UPC: 082242294935

4 comments:

  1. I had the Chance to try this Zin the other day and was very surprised with what was in my glass.

    It does have a different personality than other Zins but a great wine none the less.

    The wine is fruit driven with out being gobby and thick. Very focused nose with spice and black berries.

    On the palate I found more spice, cloves fresh berries...dry finish that lasts.

    Had a few glasses on its own and then with BBQ ribs and then the wine really took off!!

    For me this was a solid red at $21 in a screw cap...go figure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anon
    Thanks for the feedback. Have you had a chance to try the Wynns 2005 Shiraz in the same price range? I'd be interested to know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,

    I'm in and out of the blog and don't read as often as I would like but have been doing some catching up lately and read your suggestion to try the Wynns.

    I have to say that I'm not the biggest Australian wine fan out there BUT I really do enjoy the wines produced by Wynns. The style is big and bold but with a refined edge that gives elegance and finesse (connawarra climate).

    I like the Shiraz and love the Cab...when you can find it. Another Australian producer you'll find in my glass is d'arenberg...solid and consistent.

    Has any one tried the Cold Stream Hills Pinot or Chard that is now on the shelf? I've had it in the past and absolutely loved it. I'm looking forward to checking out the new vintage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anon

    I used to like Aussie shiraz, but I'm finding it less to my taste these days. I think that my tastes are changing and Aus shiraz is getting worse at the same time. But I agree that Wynns is still quite reliable. See this post:

    http://nbwines.blogspot.com/2008/09/wynns-coonawarra-estate-shiraz-2004.html

    ReplyDelete