Saturday, September 20, 2008

Domaine d'Ardhuy Puligny-Montrachet Le Trezin 2005

French wine has regions, of course, most famously Burgundy and Bordeaux, but they also have sub-regions, sub-sub-regions and even sometimes sub-sub-sub-regions. This is done on purpose to confuse and irritate North American consumers. Puligny-Montrachet is a sub-sub-region of Côte de Beaune, which is a sub-region of Burgundy. Le Trezin is the name the vineyard. While Burgundy as a whole is best known for its pinot noir based reds, the Côte de Beaune is famous for its whites, which are made from the Chardonnay grape.

I've historically been a red wine drinker, though I've started drinking whites, and I'm pretty new to Chardonnay. It had good balance and mouthfeel, and a variety of interesting flavours, which is all good, but I've wasn't entirely sure if I liked all the flavours. It has a bit of plasticine on the nose, and a kind of yeasty finish.

This wine was from last year's WineExpo and a friend brought it to a dinner party, so I don't know the price.

Price: $77.76 (original)
Score: 87
Value: 2/5
Alcohol: 13%
Tasted: August 2008
ANBL UPC: No longer listed

1 comment: