Friday, November 28, 2008

Quinta da Rigodeira Baga 2005

Luke has mentioned this wine in a comment, and I've heard other people talk about it, but I haven't tried it myself and no one has given me a full review. So I thought I'd just start a post on it to allow anyone who has tried it to tell us what they think.

I noticed that Oz Clarke's Grapes and Wines entry on Baga mentions Quinta da Rigodeira as one of the best producers of Baga. He also notes that it lasts very well in the bottle, though I don't know if that would be true of any entry level wine.

BTW, Oz Clarke's book is a great purchase for anyone interested in wine. It provides encyclopedic information about all (well, maybe just most) of the world wine grapes, listed alphabetically. It is packed with information, reasonably priced, and best of all, it is beautifully written. While it has an encyclopedia style, it is not a book that you'll pick up only when you want specific information. It is so well written that you'll find yourself flipping it open and reading at random.

Here it is at Amazon, and at Chapters.

Anyway, back to the Rigodeira Baga:

Price: $15.79
Score: ??
Grape: Baga
Region: Portugal
UPC: 5600398620030

1 comment:

  1. The Baga grape...not one I have had often. I was interested in this wine initially because it was different.

    The Baga is the most important grape in the Bairrada region of Portugal. Is this grape grape cultivated outside of Portugal? If not..it should be. The potential for quality wine from this grape is apparent from trying the Rigodeira Baga.

    Appearance: clear and clean and very dark.

    Aroma: med intensity mix of mostly dark fruit.

    Taste: wow! The first thing that struck me was the overall structure. Fruit, acidity, and tannins were obviously there. I didn't find this wine complex but I thought it had a long finish.

    For $15 bucks..great deal. I will keep a couple bottles to see how it evolves.

    ReplyDelete