Monday, November 17, 2008

Wine Expo '08 - Part V - Kiosks 40 - 54

At Kiosk 40 we found the wonderful Pio Cesare Fides which we've already talked about. Their Moscato d'Asti was also delicious. I love Moscato d'Asti. Slightly sparkling - frizzante as the Italians say - light and refreshing but bursting with fruit. The Pio Cesare was a top notch example, but I have to admit to a bit of sticker shock - I've had good examples at half the price, and at 5% alcohol you tend to slurp it down.

The Ferraton Chateauneuf-du-Pape Le Parvis was good, but the show was too rushed to say more than that, one way or the other. WS gave it a 90, btw. Kelly was very taken with their Crozes Hermitage La Matiniere ($26) - she kept mentioning it through the rest of the show. This is one that is on our "must try again soon list."

We've already discussed the Chateau Fuissé at kiosk 46. Delicious. Worth the price? We bought a couple, so we'll find out soon enough.

At kiosk 48 the Pierre Sparr Reserve Gewurz had a great nose but seemed a bit flabby on the palate.

The Liogier Vacqueyras Montpezat (kiosk 50) was a touch candied for my taste, but their Cotes du Rhone La Taladette struck me as excellent value at $16.

The Sartori Marani was fantastic. We'll have a separate review of it soon.

The Terre da Vine Barolo was fine, but didn't stand out, at least in the atmosphere at the show. Their Barbaresco seemed like good value for $30.

4 comments:

  1. My highlights;

    Booth 40

    Henriot Brut Rose..very complex, racy and satisfying. I went back to this wine whenever I needed to refresh my palate but at $80 I didn't buy one.

    Ferraton Crozes Hermitage La Matiniere...I loved this wine. For $26, this is very good value.

    Pio Cesare Fides...I can't add to what has already been written regarding the high quality of Fides.

    Booth 46 (all those Chateau Fuissé wines)

    The most interesting wine for me was the 1996. Remarkably youthful for a 12 year old wine with a minerality and good acidity that stood in sharp contrast to the other Fuissé at the table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reminding me about La Matiniere. Kelly really liked this one as well. I didn't pick any up at the show, but now it's in at Prospect St.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had La Matiniere tonight. CM is right about value - I will be picking up a few more to cellar. WS gave the 2006 a 91.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The 1996, in comparison to the 2006 Fuissé, was a highlight for me too - the wine was delicious, and the experience a real eye-opener.

    ReplyDelete