Monday, November 3, 2008

Tormaresca Pietra Bianca 2006

I'm going to start with a review from Iron Chef, since I didn't drink any "bloggable" wines this weekend. I had my eye on this wine and almost bought a bottle last week, but I bought the Tunella Campo Marzio instead - see Wednesday's post. (PS Chef Do I have the year right?)

Here is Iron Chef's review:

"A wine made of 95% Chardonnay and 5% Fiano in southern Italy, Puglia. I think this blog has tried all the Tormaresca line from Antinori now at ANBL. This is a rich wine with tons of creamy malolactic fermentation and well integrated oak. The nose is fun with peaches and zesty citrus aromas and lots of buttery vanilla. The palate is very expressive and textured- notes of oak, butterscotch ice cream, dried apricots and smoke. I could see this wine breaking the "Red Meat with Red wine" rule because of its strong favours and texture. An absolute stunner of a wine. WoW. WS gave it 87 points btw.

One drawback was that the cork was very wet, seepage around the foil might affect this wine.

Value: 4/5- although I hate spending that much on a white. It was worth it.
Score: 93"

Price: $28.99
Score: 93
Value: 4/5
Tasted: Oct 2008
ANBL UPC: 8026530000077

3 comments:

  1. I'm drinking a glass of the Pietra Blanca now and it is delicious. This is excellent - I may be turning into a white wine drinker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a glass of this and am now longing for more. I may have to rethink my utter dislike of chardonnay. This wine is well balanced and once its 'warmed up' a little the blend of warmth and acidity can't be beat. Complex. Delicious. I could spend a very enjoyable evening with this one. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. This wine puts Chardonnay in a whole new light for me, and I'd also rank it among my top whites. It has a beautiful assortment of fruit and perfume flavours and earth/mineral/spice notes, and the smooth, buttery texture is well balanced with acidity.

    ReplyDelete