Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sartori Marani 2006

We've got a puzzle here. We tried this at the Wine Expo and loved it. We bought a bottle and loved it - rated it 92. Here's my original note:

-
This wine from Sartori is great. Complex, balanced, long - it has everything. Kelly's note: "Apricots, petrol, minerals, musk, and maybe something green and herbal on nose. Very nicely put together - well balanced, with clear, refined/delicate flavours. Lovely smooth, full mouthfeel, ending with crisp/tart edge." Awesome value. It is one more step in my conversion to the white side.
-
Then I got another bottle and tried it again, and had nothing like the same experience. I don't know that I'd change the description much, but the "wow" factor was missing. Still a good wine, but more like an 87-88. We had it side-by-side with the Ribeauville Pinot Gris and the Ribeauville seemed clearly better. (As always, Kelly had them both blind.)

I don't know what's going on, so I'll just give both scores.

Price: $19.99
Value: 5/5; 3.5/5
Score: 92 / 87
Alcohol: 13.5%
Grape: Garganega
Region: Italy, Bianco di Verona IGT
Tasted: Nov 2008
UPC: 8005390006702

3 comments:

  1. We had the Marani on the weekend and it was great. The nose had Floral, fig, honeysuckle and dried fruit. The palate was full of pears, nazlenuts and Fig paste. Also enjoyed the oxidized notes that gave the wine a fuller texture. This adds to a run of very good Italian wines.
    Score 90
    Value 4/5

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it. We loved it the first time around, which made it disappointing the second time. I still can't figure out why I had such a different impression on the two different occasions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It could be the oxidized notes, I thought it gave the wine a complexity that I was not expecting, I hope it was not a defect or fault.

    ReplyDelete