Thursday, November 20, 2008

Vinzelo Douro 2006

Here is a quick review from Luke, from the Wine Expo '08 tasting, that I lifted from a comment. Note that Tinta Roriz is a Portugese name for Tempranillo.

A quick review of the Vinzelo 2006, Douro, booth 19 - Very fresh nose - predominantly strawberries and raspberries, which follow through on the palate, with a touch of spice. 30% each tinta roriz, touriga franca, tinta barroca and 10% touriga nacional. A great display of the potential of Portugese red table wines and the best wine I've had under $15 in a while. Just over 2000 bottles in the warehouse.

Price: $11.49
Value: 5/5
Score: 88
Alcohol: 12.5%
Region: Portugal, Douro
Tasted: November 2008
UPC: #5601920113952

3 comments:

  1. Luke,

    I agree with your review...this wine is great as an above average quality "everyday" wine. This wine will be a steady presence in my house until it stocks out!

    In your opinion, which Portugese wine featured at the show was better value, the Baga or the Vinzelo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris,
    T
    he Baga was the last wine I tried at the show so my recollection is not good enough to compare value to the Vinzelo. Since the show it has been my top "must-try again" wine so I asked Sandra if she could bring some in for me. I just checked and there are 23 at Prospect. I'm going to pick a couple up now, so I'll let you know what I think about the value in the morning. Hopefully my super-tuscan-filled dreams won't influence my decision...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the Rigodeira Baga tonight, and since we added it to the wine list, we got to try one of the restaurant's bottles, and not one of mine. Comparing this wine to the Vinzelo is not easy. I really enjoyed both wines - but they are very different.

    The Vinzelo is a light, refreshing afternoon wine, and the Rigodeira is more in line with something like nebbiolo. It is acidic and has tannins that really let you know they are there, but also works nicely with the dark, dried fruit on the palate.

    I like this kind of wine, and to find it at this quality and price made my day. This is a first with Baga for me, and it looks like a winner so far. I hope to hear if anybody tries this wine. I would like to know if you think it has the right balance to last a few years and see the tannins soften up a bit?

    As for value, $15.29 for the Baga, to me, is a steal. I give it 5/5. I expect to pay under $15 for a light wine like the Vinzelo, but the Vinzelo is such fantastic value at $11.49, that this is really a toss up.

    ReplyDelete