Saturday, November 8, 2008

Wine Expo '08

The old thread on Wine Expo was for people to say what they thought would be worth trying. I'm starting a new thread here for everyone share their impressions after the fact. Here are Kelly's initial impressions:

We went to the Expo yesterday. No doubt Norman will blog about it when he gets a chance, but he's out building mtb trail now. My bottom line is that it's well worth the trip. There are all kinds of really excellent wines to taste, and some extremely knowledgeable and passionate people keen to help you understand them. And of course there's great stuff to be had at the on-site store. I saw all kinds of people buying carts full of their favourites, and quite a number of wines were out of stock by 4 pm Friday.

I didn't taste the Blason de Bourgongne, but of the pinots I did taste, my favourite was the Beringer Napa - a Californian. It's a "big" pinot. I think you'll like the St Hallet Faith, which is definitely a "big red."

It's my impression that at the Expo there were a lot of wines I'd call "old world wines for the new world palate." They're "big" rather than delicate, but with typically old world flavours. I think there's a lot to like about that style.

Speaking of passionate and interesting wine makers, we made the T&T: photo and article.

If you follow this blog, you know that we are basically obsessed with the wines of Pio Cesare.

No comments:

Post a Comment