Sunday, November 9, 2008

Wine Expo '08 - Part I - The Show and Some Highlights

Where should I begin this post about our marathon tasting at the Wine Expo 2008? I don’t have time to comment on everything we tried at one go, so I’ll start with some thoughts about the show and a couple of the highlights.

Though I don’t have much experience with wines shows, I thought the expo itself was very well done. There occasionally a bit of a crush in getting to a particular kiosk, but even at the height of the madness there was never too much of a wait to get the sample we were looking for. The Coliseum is large enough that there was plenty of room to move around and when we had a wine we were particularly interested in, it was always possible to step back from the table and enjoy the wine in (relative) peace. And as Kelly said, speaking with some very knowledgeable agents and owners was a delight.

The only real improvement I can think of it that it would be nice to have spittoons either at the tables or, even better, distributed around the floor space. It is not possible to taste any significant number of wines without spitting, and while you could spit into the open plastic containers on each table, but there was a real risk of splashing bystanders or yourself, not to mention that looking at a bucket of spit is very unappealing. (Trafton Agencies had spittoons at their kiosk, but they were the only ones.) Kelly and I carried our own Nalgene containers for spitting - better than nothing, but a bit awkward.

Well, there is one other possible improvement. A few times I was almost knocked over by the scent of perfume, making it impossible to taste the wine. Presumably the people wearing perfume or cologne were more interested in a fun evening out than appreciating wine - there’s nothing wrong with that in itself, but even a light perfume can spoil the experience for others who are there for the wine. I’m not sure if there’s anything the organizers can do - perhaps a polite “no perfume” request at ticket purchase website?

I hope that doesn’t sound too negative - these were minor complaints. The show was well organized and a great place to meet and talk wine.

Now on to the wines themselves. While this was a great chance to taste many wines, it was sometimes hard to focus and we were suffering from severe palate fatigue by the end (well, actually by about a quarter of the way through), so what follows are not notes, but impressions, to be taken with a very large grain of salt. For the most part we avoided buying wines at the show, but instead made notes of wines to re-try later in a more leisurely setting.

My overall impression is that the wines at the show lean heavily toward a soft and approachable style, even in the higher price range. It’s the modern taste, I suppose – and I can’t pretend I don’t share that taste. While I’m a fan of the structured styles of Madiran and some of the Italian reds, I’m still struggling with Chianti and even Bordeaux. And more reserved and elegant wines are unlikely to show well at an event like this, between the crush of people, palate fatigue and competition of blowsier wines. Nonetheless, I hope this trend doesn’t mean that the likes of the Bocca di Lupo and the Bouscassé Vieilles Vignes are going to disappear from the shelves of ANBL.

To begin we went straight to the Pio Cesare table and sampled the ‘05 Fides. It is undoubtedly as good as the ‘03 and is great value even at $48. (While the '05 is the current vintage, I saw some bottles of the '03 on the shelves at the show. These are drinking beautifully right now.) We also had a great chat with Augusto Boffa (now if I could just remember what he said about the drinking window for the Ornato...) We also spole with Cinzia Travaglini who was signing bottles of her Gattinara. We didn't try the wine, as we've had it before and loved it, but I did buy a signed bottle.

One of the highlights of the evening for me were the four Pouilly-Fuissé wines (white burgundy / chardonnay grape) from Château Fuissé. Delicious enough that we bought a couple of bottles at around $50 each. Wine Spectator rated these at about 88 points - if these really are only 88 points for a Pouilly-Fuissé, 90+ is going to knock my socks off. As Kelly said when I told her the rating, “I dunno dude.”

Another big winner at a much lower price point were the wines of the Cave de Ribeauville, particularly the Prestige series ($19-$24). All were slightly sweet with balanced with good acidity and excellent fruit. We tried four different varietal Gewurztraminers at about the $24 mark, and the Ribeauville was our favourite. The Andante at $19 is a blend of Muscat and Gewurz - the nose leaps out with grapiness of Muscat with the lychee of Gewurz. Delicious and fun. And their varietal Pinot Gris might make me a convert to that grape. Usually I find Pinot Gris / Grigio to be crisp and clean but uninteresting - something to drink by the glass from a restaurant list if you want to play it safe. But the Ribeauville Pinot Gris had real character and interest. Kelly made me buy a couple of bottles. Their Grand Cru Gewurz was excellent, but every wine in the Prestige series was outstanding value.

And speaking of Gewurz, we had a quick taste of the Aresti Reserve Late Harvest Gewurz in the same price range ($11.50 / 375 ml) and it stood up extremely well. We didn’t spend as much time with it as we did the Ribeauville, but we’re keen to give this another try soon.

That's enough for now - I'll post more thoughts on the show over the next week or so. Kelly pointed out that we seemed to have gotten more out of the whites, perhaps because palate fatigue set in more quickly with the reds making it more difficult to appreciate the subtleties.

Those are my first impressions. What are yours? Please comment - there were far too many wines at the show to have tried them all, and I'm sure we must have missed a number of winners.

9 comments:

  1. I agree that the setup was great. We arrived at 1:30 Friday afternoon and I did my buying immediately. The Chocolate Block (South Africa - Syrah/Cab/Grenache - $43) was on my list of wines to buy, but was already sold out. (The only wine that was sold out at that point I think) I did manage to taste it and was very impressed.

    I'm with you on the Fides - a great wine - and a great experience to speak with Mr. Boffa. Perhaps even more impressive was the Pio Cesare Moscato d'Asti. This slightly-carbonated dessert wine took both Jaclyn and I by surprise. On the drive home we awarded it our favorite white at the show, and are happy to have got a couple bottles before it sold out.

    Aside from the Fides, my other favorite red was the Ventisquero Pangea Syrah 2005 (Chile, $52) From Grange winemaker John Duval, this wine had all the fruit that would be expected from a Rhone Syrah, which was only the beginning. The Colchagua climate and oak integration made the complexities of this wine go on and on. In fact, I visited this booth twice during each of the three sessions, which the Chilean man pouring seemed to get annoyed with after only my second visit. (I apologize for liking your wine...)

    The final wine that I feel deserves mention is the Quinta Da Rigodeira Baga. This Portugese red (but not port) cost around $15 and struck me as one of the best values at the show. I only discovered this with about 10 minutes to go on Saturday night, but I think I recall Chris telling me there would be some in the system for a while. I look forward to trying this wine again. (and not at the end of my third tasting session in 2 days)

    Once again, a great show and a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luke

    Please give us a fuller note on the Pangea when you have the bottle (though I suppose that may not be for a while). We tried it as well, but that was almost at the end of our second session and we were suffering quite severely from palate fatigue so we couldn't appreciate it.

    What else did you buy, if you don't mind me asking?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought 2 bottles, and the restaurant got a handfull as well, so it's possible that I will give in to temptation in the near future.
    I also bought:
    -St. Urbans-Hof Mosel
    -Michele Chiarlo Gavi
    -Viu Manent SB; white of the year
    -Gattinara (signed "To Luky"); Red of the year
    -Sartori Ripasso
    -Torres Celeste (the only Ribera del Duero I came across)
    -Torres Mas La Plana Cab
    -Ferraton Crozes-Hermitage
    -Vinzelo (Potugese Red from Douro) - didn't taste this one, but worth a try for $11
    -Tolani al Passo (very young if I remember correctly)

    My palate was in rough shape for many of these so I look forward to tasting them again. Should keep me busy for the winter...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wines that I was able to purchase on Saturday:
    Ribeauville Prestige Gewurztraminer
    Terra Andina Altos Carmenere Carignan
    Terra Andina Reserve Syrah
    Crozes Hermitage La Matiniere
    Terre da Vino Barbaresco
    Aresti Reserve Late Harvest Gewurztraminer

    The wines that I missed (soldOut)
    Tapena Garnacha
    Tolaini al Passo
    Ventisquero Vertice
    Travaglini Gattinara

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to the show not trying to taste everything, just wines that I wanted to learn more about and those I could not imagine me buying. Saw lots of great people and had wonderful wine 'talk'. My overall impression that this was the White wine show. The strength of the whites out-classed the Reds. The best of show:
    1. Chateau Fuisse Pouilly Fuisse 1996
    2. Chateau Fuisse Pouilly Fuisse Tete de Cru
    3. Chateau Fuisse Pouilly Fuisse Brules
    4. Ribeauville Grand Cru Gewurztraminer
    5. Travaglini Gattinara
    6+7. Silver Oak Napa Cabernet/ Alexander
    8. Michele Chiarlo Tortoniano Barolo
    9. Ribeauville Andante
    10. Torres Mas La Plana
    11. Beringer Private Reserve Chardonnay
    12. Marques de Caceres Gaudium
    13. Chateau Richet Margaux

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chef

    On the whole I think you're right that this was a show for the whites. Many of the wines that really stood out for me were white, thought I put this down to the fact that I'm just starting to really explore whites.

    We tried almost all the wines on your "best of" list and I agree that they were outstanding, though I might add a few others - both the wines from Tolaini, for example. BTW, is your list in order of preference? In particular, I really liked the Ribeauville Andante - I picked up a couple of bottles - but I wouldn't say it is nearly as good as the Gaudium.

    It's a bit disappointing to see that the Travaglini Gattinara is sold out - though I do have three in the cellar, so I can't complain too much. And on the other hand it's great that the wine was a hit. There are apparently a few bottles of the Ventisquero Vertice at Prospect St in F'ton - but only about 3 dozen left in the province. And I'm looking forward to the shipment of the al Passo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, #1 is #1 in my book.
    The Gaudium was great, but for good Spanish wine it did not blow the doors off the place like the Andante did. When comparing the Gaudium to..say the...Montecillo Reserva, it was not 3 or 4 times better as the price might indicate or even the LaPlana, which I rated higher. So for me the Andante really stood out as a great wine. Say nothing of the Pouillys.

    I was at the Prospect store yesterday night- no Vertice.

    The Tolaini wines for me were way too young- the tannins were almost astringent- I couldn't appreciate that wine at that age.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I agree that the Andante was way better value than the Gaudium, but I wouldn't have said that it was a better wine. But we're all going to have slightly different preferences. Mostly I agree with your rankings - particularly re the Pouilly-Fuissé.

    Hmmm - if you thought the Tolaini were too tannic, don't try Bocca di Lupo.

    Re the Vertice, I realize now that I got it mixed up with the Ventisquero Chardonnay. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Too tannic from someone that loves Cahors. Too young is all- not sure how it would evolve. I think that I will buy one none the else. I think I will have the Lupo tonight.

    ReplyDelete