Saturday, February 21, 2009

Barefoot Zinfandel- NV

After a few days back in the upper price ranges, here we are with another value wine.

--- Review by Iron Chef ---


This is one of the first Zins that I remember really liking maybe 6 years ago. And for a while I sought out Zins wherever possible. I began to gravitate towards the expressions that were higher and higher in alcohol %, topping out at 16.5% for one of the Montevina Zins. These Port-like monsters hid the subtle qualities of the grape that I really enjoyed and I lost my taste for these wines. In a moment of nostalgia I bought the Barefoot and was happily reminded of the fun nuances of Zinfandel. The colour of the wine was bight cherry red and the nose had dried tobacco leaf- Players Light I think. Also the fruit on the wine was vibrant with some nice tannins. This was not syrupy or heavily extracted- balanced and fresh. Raspberry was the dominant fruit characteristic and there was some peachy flavors also. Very enjoyable.

Retail Price: $11.99
Score: 87
Value: 4/5
Region: California- Lodi
Grape: Zinfandel
Alcohol: 13.5%
UPC: 018341751093

3 comments:

  1. I've often seen this wine at ANBL, but I've never tried it. I'll definitely be picking it up soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda

    Thanks for the comment - after you've tried it, let us know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah great value for sure. I have tried the Pinot Grigio too.

    ReplyDelete