Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Farnese Primitivo 2006

And it's peanutman to the rescue! A reply to yesterday's call for help!

--- peanutman's review ---

I got a bottle of Farnese Primitivo last week from a neighbour. I knew this wasn't one of those big Italian monsters, but my wife and I were pleasantly surprised. Norman informed me that this was the same grape as Zinfandel which I have also never tried. I thought the Primitivo was a little spicy and probably also a little sweet as it decanted. The second day we had it with Roast Beef and we both thought it was a good match. Warning: we are not wine and food matchers and usually prefer our wine after or before supper therefore we could be way off on the match. There was just enough fruit taste and character that it wasn't bland. For some reason, and while they are not similar, this wine reminded me of the Cono Sur Pinot Noir. A bottle of wine that is not expensive but that has enough character that you would probably want to buy it again. For $11.49, we both thought it was a very good deal, 4.5 on 5 and I would give it an 87.

Retail Price: $11.49
Score: 87
Value: 4.5/5
Region: Italy
Grape: Primitivo
UPC: 8019873924100

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I usually find Zin/Primativo slightly sweet, and also spicy sometimes. While I'm not a food matcher either, I think I'll try this wine with a spicy stew or similar winter dish. It sounds robust enough to stand up well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my favorite inexpensive wine. The sort of wine I didn't mind sharing with my not so discriminating friends :) It seems to be gone for ANBL inventory currently. Hopefully it's coming back.

    ReplyDelete