Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Dona Paula Los Cardos Syrah 2007

Here's another review from Iron Chef. It doesn't make me want to try the Los Cardos . . . but the Palo Alto is another question. I had that on my "to try" list and never got around to it - sounds like I should.

--- Iron Chef's Review ---

Dark to Purple-ish colour. Smells of Meat Pies from Northern NB- Gamey, wild aromas- Deer Meat. Black Ground Pepper. Warm Blueberry Pie with vanilla ice cream. Some stemmy notes. Very similar to the Palo Alto from Chile- less extracted but more fragment. Good tannins and surpringly good acidity. Mahogany Wood favours. Looking back, I should have rated the Palo Alto higher – 87-89 – that’s what you get from perspective. Finish is shorter than I would have guessed from the Nose- more woody and tannic as it sits opening up. First glass was much better than 1 hour in. Overall not the wine that the Palo Alto is …but good. I find “New world’ syrahs to be fun glasses of wine- this is fun- but there is better for cheaper at ANBL.

Price: $17.49
Score: 85
Value: 3.4/5
Region: Lujan De Cuyo – Mendoza – Argentina
Grape: Syrah
Alcool: 14%
UPC: 836950000032

No comments:

Post a Comment