Sunday, February 15, 2009

Brumont Tannat Merlot 2006

Our run of modestly priced wine continues, but this time with one to avoid. Good to know, as I might have been tempted if I'd come across this wine - like Iron Chef, I've had good luck with wines from Alain Brumont in the past, and the Tannat grape is something different. Too bad this one didn't work out. Here is a review from Iron Chef.

--- Iron Chef's Review ---

After all the success I have had with the Brumont wines from Madiran, I was shock to realize there was one I had yet to try. I had it in the cellar for a while and was excited to find it buried.
The nose was oaky, spearmint gum, Leafy Green and a familiar smell of a dusty gravel road on a hot day. It smelled very young with a bunch of unripened grapes.

The palate confirmed the nose. Very Grippy front cheeks and jaw felt the sting of the tannins. Sharp biting acidity. Aromas of Allspice and nutmeg probably from the oak. The fruit was unripened cherries and cheap coffee. The palate was hollow in the middle- where the fruit should be and overall very chalky in the mouth. My wife called it harsh, I called it immature. I still expect at this price point some balance between fruit, acidity and tannins, I can’t even imagine what this would taste like without 50% Merlot. This was after 45 minutes in the decanter.

Price: $14.79
Score 70
Value 2/5
Region: Southwest France- Vin de Pays des Côtes de Gascogne
Grape: Tannat, Merlot
Alcohol: 13%
UPC: 3372220000236

1 comment: