Thursday, November 19, 2009

Concha y Toro - Winemakers Lot 148 & Lot 54

A two-for-one review from Michelle.

--- Michelle's Review ---

Concha y Toro - Winemakers Lot 148 Carmenere - Chile $19.79

A two for one review! Since they were both from Concha y Toro, I thought I would do them together. First, the Carmenere. For some reason I get a certain thrill out of a beautiful violet, inky colored wine being poured into my glass. It gives a possible introduction to the nose and the palette will be. This one did not disappoint. My boyfriend, who will tell you right off the bat that he has no palate for this type of thing, said it was a "nice wine". Nice indeed! Beautiful on the nose with violets and chocolate. It had a deep dark fruit, coffee and balanced out with almost a fruit cake finish. Not last year's fruit cake but one that's warm and just out of the oven and topped in a butterscotch sauce. I really enjoyed this one. I am going to Dieppe to get some more before its gone. The price is definitely doesn't justify such a great wine. For $19.79 I suggest you pick up a few more. For dinner, I braised the roast beef in this wine with some chicken stock, garlic, onions and thyme. After the roast was done, I then added some sautéed mushrooms and lots of black pepper to make a reduction. WOW! Maybe it was the beef, maybe it was the wine, but the combination was dead on.

Concha y Toro Winemakers Lot 54 Syrah - Chile $19.79

Now the Syrah. I wouldn't say this was a typical syrah. It seems the Chilean's have a different idea on what that should be. Again, I was impressed. Of course the nose had the pepper and anise of a syrah. But on the palette it has a wonderful structure. Beautifully balanced chocolate, coffee, ending in a strawberry/plum finish. Again, an excellent price for a really great wine. Now to pick up more….

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Michelle! I'm particularly tempted by the Carmenere. Also, I'll be at your house for supper later...

    ReplyDelete
  2. At this $20 price point its getting hard for anyone to be better than Concha Y Toro. The Marques line is phenomenal and having tried the Sauvignon Bl from the Winemakers Lot at NSLC POW show it appears that line is almost as impressive. Big doesn't have to be bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this bottle (lot 148 carmenere) on the weekend. The reviews from all over the internet were consistently very positive or better. I would have to concur. This had a classic carmenere nose that kept drawing you back, good balance, unique tasty fruit, nicely integrated background oak. I'd give it a 90. And say it's a great value. I don't think you can find any better carmenere anywhere near the Maritimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winemakers Lot Carmenere 2007
    Rapel Valley
    14%
    Nose- Green Peppers and Peppercorns. Milk Chocolate. Savory with some leathery notes.
    Taste- Woody. Plum Fruit with Coconut Crème Brulee. Lots of burnt sugar aromas. Some twiggy notes. Long Finish.
    Overall a much fuller and deeper than the Diablo Carmenere and for my $0.02 its worth the extra $s.

    ReplyDelete