Monday, November 23, 2009

Loredona Pinot Grigio 2007

It's not really white wine season any more, but this sounds like a good one. If I can just convince Kelly to make sushi for me this weekend, this sounds like a perfect match.

--- Michelle's Review ---

Loredona Pinot Grigio - Monteray, CA $21.79

I had to review a white. This time of year our thoughts turn to the warm spicy, cockle warming reds. So before we turn ourselves over to the reds, I am going to review my pick for WHITE OF THE YEAR. I do not give accolades that easily. I need to be swayed and wooed. This wine swayed and wooed me to the top of the list. Who would have thought California could produce anything white that wasn't a Chardonnay! Ok maybe I am being to hard on Cali but like most of us, I got tired of that scene long ago. So here it is a Pinot Grigio. I find sometimes a pinot grigio is non descript. Chilled too much and it loses any kind of structure or flavor. Hmm..tastes like water. So this one being premo-chilled had amazing nose and palette. I felt transported to a warm spring night with everything in bloom. Clean and floral. The taste of crisp apples and orange blossoms with a finish of ginger and vanilla. Nothing was overpowering but subtle and clean. What a wonderful Pinot Grigio! This was fantastic. Have this with mussels in a light cream sauce perhaps good sushi or a lobster roll!

Dear Santa: I have been a good girl this year. My only wish is that you help Don build me a wine cellar in the basement or at least a wine fridge. I will take the fridge actually. Preferably with separate climate controlled sections for white and red. Thank you, Santa. I will leave your typical glass of Chianti Classico Reserve and chocolate truffle.

3 comments:

  1. I picked up a bottle of this and gave it to Kelly without telling what it is (as usual). Here's her note: "Plenty of citrus, green apple, spice, and minerals on the nose. Viscous and very crisp on the palate, with a bit of a bitter edge on the finish. Very full bodied for a Pinot Gris. 87"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, I liked this one. I usually find Pinot Grigio reliable but not remarkable, but this was much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't too impressed with this one, found it a bit flat. We paired it with ravioli in a cream sauce, but found it boring. We have another bottle and will try it with roast chicken next time.

    ReplyDelete