Sunday, November 15, 2009

Michelino Veglio Nebbiolo d‘Alba 2005

The most interesting wines on Iron Chef’s list don’t seem to be available in F’ton, but a selection from the Wine Expo has made its way here. This Nebbiolo d’Alba looked interesting, so I picked it up for a dinner party last night. I can only give general impressions, since I was drinking it at a party, but I was very pleased with what it delivered. The nose was delightful - distinctly floral (it would be traditional to say roses, knowing it is a Nebbiolo, but I will just leave it at ‘floral’) with bright fruit - cherries. Recognizably Nebbiolo. The structure was very clean and drinkable - the tannins were subdued and enough acidity to make it crisp without being too sharp. It didn’t have the leather / tar and richer floral notes that are associated with a good Barolo. Maybe those will come with age - or not. In any event, it’s not a Barolo, and it's not priced like one, so you can’t ask too much. This is distinctive, well made and reasonably priced. I think I’ll get a few more bottles for everyday drinking.


Price: $18.79
Value 4/5
Score: 88
Region: Italy, Piedmont
Grape: Nebbiolo
UPC: 877559000405

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review- stopped by to pick one up today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know what you think - I wasn't the best of tasting circumstances when I had it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should I wait ? or try it now ? A 2005 Nebb sounds young- but your review sounds like it is approachable now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's definitely approachable now - and at that price, how far wrong can you go? Whether it will get much better with time is anyone's guess. Sure, it's Nebbiolo, but it's not a Barolo. If it does age well, that would be a huge bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Approachable is an understatement- Fantastic wine. Very Floral in a dried flower way. Wonderful tannic strength. Clean fruit and a real depth of taste. I would put this as 91+. Great with food, but not a social sipper or salad wine- the tannins need food, might be too grippy without a steak or something. Thanks for putting me on this wine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried another bottle after Iron Chef's comment - and I totally agree. Too bad there's not much left. On the bright side, that's partly because I just bought a case.

    ReplyDelete