Saturday, November 21, 2009

Mazzei Poggio Alla Badiola 2006

For me, this is another value pick. The nose is full of ripe, dark berries, violets, cloves, juniper, and licorice on. All of that follows on the palate, which is clear and long and characterized by puckering tannins from mid to finish. Its character is distinctly Italian. Even at only 30%, the Merlot really seems to round out the Sanviovese, which I find can be a bit thin and acidic.

Price: $ 19.79
Value 4/5
Score: 90
Region: Italy, Tuscany
Grape: Sangiovese, Merlot
UPC: 8016118241053

1 comment:

  1. I didn't tell Kelly this when we had it, because I didn't want to bias her review, but I wouldn't have rated it as highly myself. I found it a bit sour on the finish and I didn't pick up as much on the nose as she did. But I should say that I'm just getting over a cold, and my own nose was good and stuffed up at the time, so I probably shouldn't blame the wine.

    ReplyDelete