Tuesday, March 10, 2009

De Bortoli Deen Vat 4 Petit Verdot 2006

I was quite interested when Iron Chef sent me this review, as I've had my eye on this wine for a while, but just haven't gotten around to trying it.

--- Iron Chef's Review ---

Colour- Redish Purple, Great Colour.

Nose- Plummy, Vanilla oak, Lavender ??, Dusty Gravel notes. Smells great.

Taste- less than ripe cherries, Aussie Mist Shampoo (coconut) & bananas, a bit candied but not overblown. Surprisingly acidic, fine tannins- some apple crispness- a real backbone to the wine. Smooth Fruit forward wine.

Typical Aussie but something different, not austere, not completely candied overall complex. Of all the PVerdots I have had, it has always the acidity or crispness of the palate and the structure of the wine that sets it apart from the normal. As a primarily blending grape to add structure to a Bordeaux or meritage blend, I am always happy to try it by itself.

Price: $20.49
Score: 88
Value: 3.9/5
Region: Australia- Riverina
Alcohol 14.5%
Grape: Petit Verdot
Tasted: March 2009
UPC #679940000533

4 comments:

  1. I have a brother in law who raves about Petit Verdot and one he drank in BC. So why not try the only one in NB. Loved it. Great smooth wine in my view for the price. The 14.5% alcool, wow, my wife had one glass and was tipsy. I'd recommend this to anyone unless they are drinkers of light reds. My score would be a 4.5 and a 90.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Opimian society (a Canadian Wine Society)has a nice petit verdot on it's current offering. It's called GMH Limestone Coast (Australian). I got it last year for $20/bottle and was rather pleased with it. It had a uniqueness I appreciated, full body, great ripe fruit, good acidity and balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As it happens, Kelly and I just had a somewhat fancy petit verdot, which we picked up at LCBO a couple of years ago - the Marqués de Griñon Dominio de Valdepusa 2002. Very interesting grape. Tannic but with a complex blend of licorice, spice and dark fruit. K gave it a 92, tasting blind.

    ReplyDelete