Friday, March 20, 2009

Feudi San Gregorio Falanghina 2006

Oz Clarke calls the Falanghina grape “high quality but little planted,” and says that it may have been responsible for Falernian, the most famous wine of ancient Rome. I’ve never tried it before, and while Wine Spectator hasn’t rated the 2006 vintage, this wine usually rates in the 88 to 90 range. So I jumped at the chance when I saw it was on sale for $20.

Unfortunately, at the first sniff I realized it was very lightly corked. Too bad, I thought, but a little bit of cork taint can ‘blow off’ and I can still get an idea of what the grape is like. When I tasted it the second “unfortunately” hit - it was insipid and empty. I had been half expecting this, as WS always recommended “drink now” for other vintages, so this wine is a couple of years past its prime drinking date. But still, I was hoping for a bit more.

I was writing up a post saying “don’t buy, this is over the hill.” At the same time I was searching WS to see what they had to say about cork taint generally, and I came across this comment: “At lower levels, TCA taint merely strips a wine of its flavor, making normally rich, fruity wines taste dull or muted, without imparting a noticeable defect.” This made me realize that I can’t rate this wine, even on a ‘this is how it rates now’ basis, since the lack of flavour may be due to the cork taint. But I thought I’d post this anyway, since the experience was an education for me. I’m familiar enough with the obvious musty smell of cork taint, but the more subtle effect of robbing a wine of flavour is something I hadn’t known about.

So, is this wine over the hill, or is it just that the low level cork taint robbed it of flavour? My bottle was uninspiring either way, but I’d certainly be interested to hear if anyone else tries this wine.

Price: $19.32
Score: No score
Value: No value
Region: Italy, Campania
Tasted: March 2009
UPC: 8022888650018

9 comments:

  1. Norman,
    Take this bottle back and swap it for another, and see if there is any improvement. I have had to do this on occasion...just a thought

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea. I'd planned on taking it back because of the cork taint, but for some reason the thought of getting another of the same bottle hadn't occurred to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just opened it up- WOW. You really missed something special. This is exciting stuff. Full review to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bummer for me - it seems like I waited too long to follow Vasco's advice - they're sold out in F'ton. But at least you've confirmed that the wine wasn't over the hill and the cork taint was really at fault. That's extremely interesting - I hadn't really realized that cork taint could rob flavour, even though the taint itself was barely noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was initially from my Wines to try list http://nbwines.blogspot.com/2008/10/iron-chefs-top-10-to-try.html and I am glad I did.
    My experience with the Feudi San Gregorio Falanghina very different than Norman’s.
    The nose was a mixture of Pear and dried apricots with a very different smell of Hay thrown in. No cardboard – which is usually a characteristic of Corked wines. Lots of Fruit Cocktail syrup layered on top. But the hay was really unexpected – thought about herbs or cut grass… but it was hay. There was also a wood component that provided more on the palate than the nose.
    The wine tasted good, really good. Again the palate was full of Dried apricots and syrupy pears. The dried fruit tended to impart a sherry-like quality to the wine. The wood tannins were present which provided baking spices and cumin- a little Tex-Mex. The acidity produced a waterfall of saliva in my mouth and served to balance off the wet stone mineral taste. Lastly there was a Petrol note reminiscent of a Riesling.
    This was a full-bodied, highly complex wine. I can’t count how many times I said ‘Wow’ while tasting this. But that being said, I can easily see people not liking this style of wine- hay, dried fruit, mineral acidity- that not your run-of the- mill crowd pleaser. It certainly had more in common with the Donnafugata Anthilia, which produced different opinions, see http://nbwines.blogspot.com/search/label/Ansonica
    I thought this was absolutely fantastic. I’ll be in Edmundston the last week of April, I hope there is some left.

    Value 5/5
    Score 93

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm envious. Looks like I really missed something with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too the extra step to decant this wine as I was scared of bottle sickness- Wonderful melon favours, thick texture and great aromas of hay and honey. Very special. Norman- I picked up another bottle for you btw.

    ReplyDelete