Saturday, March 28, 2009

St Francis Old Vines Zinfandel 2005

Here's a review from Tancred that I've stolen from the 'Make a Suggestion' thread. He didn't give it a value rating in his initial comment, but in a private message he said that for value "I would say 3/5, because it was quite an interesting wine and I think I am suffering from wine-price bracket creep." Hmm. From the description it sounds more like 2/5. Price bracket creep must be fought at all costs. And the Colonial Estate Explorateur is in the same price bracket, and we scored it 85 with 2/5 for value. So as blog-meister, I say the score is 2/5 for this one too.

--- Tancred's review ---

I recently tried the St Francis Old Vines Zinfandel 2005 ($35.78). I'm quite interested in new world grape varieties in new world locations, such as SA Pinotage and California Zin since I know so little about them. The Zinfandel is a genetic clone of a Croatian grape that is also the probable origin of the Primitivo grape in Italy. Unfortunately our liquor store does not stock much at all in the way of dry red Zinfandel, but the St Francis looks to be a recent arrival.

The wine had a great nose - lots of red and dark fruit - cherries, plums, blackberries - that I really enjoyed. The palate was similar although I noted quite a harsh finish that I did not think of as 'grippy tannins'. The harsh finished softened a bit by the second glass but was still detectable. At $36, I would say this wine is not great value for money, though it is certainly a solid enjoyable wine. It makes me wonder what a really good Zin would be like. I'm going to keep looking.

Price: $35.78
Score: 85 first glass - 87 second glass
Value: 2/5
Region: USA, California
Grape: Zinfandel
Tasted: March 2009
UPC: 088534001434

9 comments:

  1. A funny story...yet tragic. I was in the liquor store on Vaughn Harvey not that long ago. I was looking for a Cali-Zin. I asked a staff member where I should look....she pointed me to the fridge and a nice bottle of E&J Zinfandel. um...no. Am I wrong to be a bit put out that staff do not know about product? Or what to ask? Its just me, isn't it. I am nooooo expert...but I figure staff should know more than me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so...it appears that there is a desire here in NB to find out about and try some decent zinfandels. webmaster norman/kelly - what are you prepared to do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. tancred - clearly you have something in mind, but you are too subtle for me. What are you suggesting we do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Oh is that a call-out for a Zin-off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. excellent idea. how about it blogmaster? want to organize a zin-off?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to see a Zin-off! To me, I like Zin's but for what you are getting, possibly the most overpriced varietal in wine. I have pretty well given up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can there be Primativo in the Zin-off? I also tend to find Zin overpriced - I think because a lot of Zin is Californian, and Californian wine generally tends to be overpriced - but I really like a good Zin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree that Zin is generally over-priced and I agree with Kelly that it's probably just because it is Californian, which is generally over-priced. But we have had some good ones. The Rockpile Road 2003 that was #3 on the WS 2005 list was available here and it was very good. Not really my style - a crazy cartoon of a wine, as Kelly likes to say - but there was definitely a lot going on. I can't remember how much we paid, but the US release price was very reasonable.

    I'm not sure Zin-off is really on the ccards though - is there enough decent Zin available in NB to have one?

    ReplyDelete
  9. A discussion about overpriced that dosen't mention France- I love it. I am tried of high-octane wines like Shiraz especially Zin. If the winery is creating an over ripe 16% wine, just call it port and be done with it. And then have all the single vineyard designations to push up the price. That being said there are great examples of Zins that shows their charm of tobacco, leather and bramble fruit. I have a 2001 Cline hidden away that would be fun to see if it could age- I have my doubts.

    ReplyDelete