Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Giotto Rosso Chianti 2006

Here's sale wine review from Michelle -- and it looks like we might have a winner in the 'value wine' category.

--- Michelle's Review ---

Everyone loves a sale. Slap a "discount" sticker on anything and someone will buy it. This especially rings true when it comes to wine. On this occasion I was happy to find a Chianti smack dab in my price range. What a treat. It was Friday, I had a bad week and this was the light at the end of my dark tunnel. I was almost salivating at the thoughts of drinking this wine.
I opened this bottle but did not decant because I thought I would be drinking this alone. I let it breathe in the bottle for about 1/2 hour then poured into my glass for another 15 minutes. I love doing the initial smell as soon as the cork is pulled versus after breathing. The first nose I got...vanilla (????) Where was the oak, dirt and earth? Then once it had been in my glass the aromas came forth! The first sip I got the oak, light and slightly earthy. Very nice smooth finish. Picture a sitting under an oak tree after a summer rain shower. :-)

Price: $14.09 (on Sale)
Score: 89
Value: 4 / 5
Region: Italy, Chianti
Grape: Sangiovese
Tasted: March 2009
UPC: 8004401000500

6 comments:

  1. interesting...I went for the sale Terre di Prenzamo Chianto Classico 2006. Also on sale so should get a solid 3/5 or 4/5. Will let you know once I've tried it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, a value-priced Chianti. Suddenly I feel the need to make a trip up the hill (to ANBL)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Based on your post we bought a bottle yesterday and had it with pasta. I found it a bit disappointing at first but then it opened up and wow, very smooth... very good value - you can't beat it and goes excellent with pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I drove to Brookside- the outback for this. First impression was a cork that would shame a brew at home winemaker- short thin and crappy. I did notice at the store that many of the tops of the wine seemed pushed in and I wondered why.
    Colour was light to a bit organeish rim.
    Nose- by far the best attribute- cloves, pepper, Earth, Nutmeg and baked red apples.
    Palate- Dusty sour cherries, baked apple pie and thin in the middle of the palate- like water.
    Maybe it was the week I had or something, but I was disappointed with this, it brought me back to wine-by-the glass at Vitos in Saint John. Maybe you have to spend $25 or more on Chianti such as Nipozzano.
    I think this may be another case of different strokes- peoples tastes vary-
    Value 2.9/5
    Score 81

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tastes vary, as do the mood and the moment - which is why it is always great to have as many different reviews / comments as possible on the same wine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too tried this and found it a bit unpleasant and having characteristics of cheap wine at start, and then after a few glasses and a couple hours, it got better. Could have been the few glasses :-)

    ReplyDelete