Sunday, January 11, 2009

Box of Wine!

Here is a review from Michelle, on a very interesting topic. As she points out, there are a lot of advantages for boxed wine, at least for wine that is intended to be drunk young.

---

In this environmentally conscious age, I want to bring to the forefront an often over looked and under appreciated section of our beloved ANBL store. The "Large Format" section.

Back in our parents’ day, the large format or box'o wine (or as it will now be known, the BOW), was usually filled with what some would call "the bottom of the barrel skunge." It was the cheapest, foulest liquid that I would be embarrassed to call "wine" Today however some of the world's largest producers are jumping on board. I have noticed, since I started to purchase BOW that the selection has grown. Jackson Triggs has a lovely "Proprietors" Shiraz. Also, wine experts believe that this is not only economical but environmentally friendly as well. The BOW has many advantages. The wine stays fresh, up to six weeks (although I have yet to keep a box up to six weeks) and there is plenty to go around when unexpected guests drop by. Sure you can whip out an impressive bottle from the cellar, but why not save those to enjoy at a tasting or alone on the sofa.

Seriously though, the BOW is a great value. Most are under $40 for a 4 litre box. Do the math, people, that's over 5 bottles! The reason I got on board with the BOW was the fact that it’s cheap, you can get a decent sipping wine and believe me, less recyclables. I was running out of room in the porch for my empties at one point . So give one a try and if you don't like the one you picked, serve it to unexpected guests. Remember, it stays fresh up to six weeks.

These are three I have tried.
1. Jackson-Triggs Proprietors Shiraz (3 L) $35.29
2. Naked Grape Shiraz (3 L) $36.29
3. Calballero Cabernet Sauv. (4 L) $36.29

5 comments:

  1. A couple of years ago I was quite keen on what I'm pretty sure was the Stanley Cab Shiraz (2L) $21.99. I think it was as good as many of the $13-16 wines I've tried. Indeed, once decanted it 'fooled' quite a few people.

    How would you rank the three BOW you tried?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I have had other people tell me the Stanley is pretty good. I will add that one to my list.
    I think I would rate the J-T as #1 actually, just how I have them listed. Then again..those are the only ones I have tried,
    Thanks for the feed back. Come on everyone...I know there other closet BOW out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit, when it comes to BOW, I am deep in the closet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far my experience with the BOW is restricted to the Merlot (that rhymes with 'not') my grandmother used to stock. But I would also be open to checking out the BOW's close cousin, the tetra pak. I saw some at the Expo, but they weren't offering samples. Imagine the possibilities for backcountry adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have resorted to filling a Nalgene bottle for an overnighter in Fundy. :) Uncorked it in the parking lot at the Info center and carried it to Point Wolf :)Tetra paks are actually found a lot in Europe..especially noticed them in Italy. Maybe they are on to something....

    ReplyDelete