Thursday, January 8, 2009

Kenwood Russian River Pinot Noir 2006

As I mentioned a couple of days ago, I'm going to post some reviews from the "Make a Suggestion" on a more frequent schedule for a few days. And remember, the point of this blog isn't to have the last word - it's just to get the conversation going with these reviews. I'm posting these reviews from Make a Suggestion as separate posts in order make the wine searchable (the blog search function at the top of the page only searches posts, not comments) and to get a separate discussion going on this particular wine. If anyone has tried this wine, please post a comment and let everyone know what you think.

Here's Iron Chef's review:

I was anxious to buy this PN because of the AVA – Russian River, we do not tend to see many in this neck of the woods. I remember a quote from one of the Wine mags calling Russian River PNs as a Dark Chocolate in comparison to the milk chocolate PNs from Coastal areas of Cali. Anyways I digress. This wine was definitely fuller with a high octane edge. Aromas of Strawberry/ rhubarb pie, some creamy oak notes. Finish was Caramilk bar with cherry coke. But all the while an under current of florals and berries. A very nice example of a fuller style PN with balanced acidity.

I think this is on sale if my memory is correct, I was also able to buy a few 2005s to go along with the 2006s, I will try to contrast them someday.

Retail Price: $19.99
Score: 89
Value: 4/5
Region: California, Russian River
Grape: Pinot Noir
Alcool: 14.5%
UPC #010986002813

4 comments:

  1. I picked this one up last night. Its on sale for the $19.99.
    I tried to find the Sartori Marani last night..not avail. I got a Cavit Delle Pinot Grigio instead...I might review that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't seem to be available in F'ton. Let us know what you think.

    Speaking of pinot, we tried the N.Z. Nautilus pinot from the wine tasting machine at Prospect St. From that little sip it seemed really great. I didn't pick one up on the spot - for $43 I wanted to give it a second thought - but it was certainly very tempting. I'd love to know if anyone else has tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still in shock that you guys HAVE a tasting machine and we don't! I need to get home more often....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had this wine on Saturday night. I decanted and let nature take its course. Air and wine..UNITE!I really liked this Pinot. Nose to me was a bit floral and I definitely picked strawberry on the palette. The finish I struggled to get something...slight note of berries but nothing lingering. I did enjoy it though. I am still quite new to the different types of Pinot. The Russian River I have read about and sampled some nice ones. For anyone wanting to get to know Pinots..this area would be a great start. There is also buzz Oregon too. I have only tried one..the Firesteed. Its totally different from the Kenwood. Its a "meatier" Pinot. More berry and chocolate. Again, enjoyed that one too. :) Hi, my name is Michelle..and I am a wineaux :)

    ReplyDelete