Saturday, January 10, 2009

Château Bouscassé Vieilles Vignes 2000 Redux

We've reviewed this wine before and it's also on my Top 10 list, but we had another bottle last night, and once again I thought "Why are there 8 bottles sitting at Prospect St!!?? Why isn't anyone buying this wine!!??" Ok, it's $50, so you wouldn't just pick it up on a whim. But if it's a special occasion, this is as good as anything at ANBL at this price, and better than most. Great stuff if you're in the mood for something powerful but elegant.

Here is what Kelly has to say: "Wet wool on the nose, and also dried flowers, leather, stewed dark fruit and evergreen. Reserved fruit on palate. Smooth with firm tannins throughout. Long, chewy and gamey. This is a manly sort of wine. I think it's evolved for the better since we last tasted it, as I don't recall noticing all of the subtler flavours such dried flowers and such last tasting."

(She swears she really gets wet wool - I don't. But we both love it.)

Price: $49.55
Score: 94
Value: 4/5
Region: France, Madiran
Grape: Tannat
Tasted: October 2007
ANBL UPC: 3372220020029

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the inventory update, I am still pissed I missed the last of the regular Bouscasse before it was all sold. I have often looked at the Montus Prestige UPC #3372220950036 at $77.61, but never been able to pull the trigger. Any one out there able to justify Montus at twice the price considering its $56 in SAQ ?

    ReplyDelete